Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Shunned at the Show

Made a short drive over to the Omaha Reptile Show. 6 months ago our girl Lucky had escaped and we were busy looking for her so we couldn't attend.
    Before I went, I showered, put deodorant on and I brushed my teeth. My clothes were clean and presentable.
    You're probably wondering why I would be tell you all this. Well, shortly after arriving at the show, I started a conversation with a few of the vendors. I was asking questions about their reptiles and eventually they asked me what kind of reptiles I keep. I was honest and proud to tell them I raise Thamnophis radix. A cold chill swept through the crowd. Those people that were within ear-shot, turned and gave me this look. I swear someone called for security and the crowd parted. There I was with my kids huddled around me. My youngest said "what's wrong daddy". I drew my off-duty weapons and we backed out of the place. We sprinted to our van, by this time the crowd had organized and rushed us. As I drove out off the parking lot they threw rocks at us and yelled obscenities.

Now, this story is slightly exaggerated but that's how I felt. The truth is the few vendors I did speak with changed their attitudes with me once I mentioned the word Garter snake. I felt like a second class citizen. By the way there were no vendors with any Thamnophis represented.
    Looks like I'll have to keep my mouth shut when I go to these thing. I DON'T THINK SO!
    I think I need to get my own table or two.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: Shunned at the Show

I completely support you on getting your own table for the shows... Show off the beauties that all scorn.. and maybe you will sway a few to join our ranks of "Garter lovers"

Yeah, that's pretty much how it's like over here.

I know the feeling. :/
    You say "garter" and they look at you like you're insane or something.
    We'll show'em.
    **EDIT- PLUS, the fact that everyone around you is saying "garden" or "gardener" snakes. Ughhhh.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

You know, SOME of the vendors at hamburg are like that, but I've got to say, that after speaking with many of them each show, many of the dedicated hobbyists (and not the wholesalers) actually are very interested in what i have to say regarding garters. Wholesalers often instantly assume they know more than I do about garter snakes and try to play really dumb things off on me, like... you can't find these ANYWHERE... or... oh that scale rot is just from brumating he's fine!!! A few actually do respect garter snakes, and one in particular is doing all he can to acquire more of them. This show I actually am thinking about taking my camera with a card full of photos of my garters to show people what garters are really all about. I know enough of the vendors there well enough that they will take me seriously. Every time I make posts on other forums, I get messages and comments from people about how my photography and love for garter snakes has literally made them have a whole new respect for them. The favorite to newcomers is by far, the blue pugets, as well as the oregon red-spots. I like posting a huge post with photos of my entire collection, so that people can see all at once, just how spectacular they really are. And it is generally well recieved! The only reason we often get rejected, is because people are simply not exposed to what thamnophis love is really all about!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"Preparing For Second shed" Quibble's Avatar

i agree 100%

maybe someday in my far away future, i can set up a booth in a show... -dreams on-

I took my garters and showed them at the reptile expo here the last 2 years and got quite an interesting response. everyone was surprised to see that garters come in more colors than gray and green.....I just tell people things get more colorful when you leave Utah I should be having my own booth this year, depending on how many babies I have.

"Third shed, A Success" prattypus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssssnakeluvr View Post
    I took my garters and showed them at the reptile expo here the last 2 years and got quite an interesting response. everyone was surprised to see that garters come in more colors than gray and green.....I just tell people things get more colorful when you leave Utah I should be having my own booth this year, depending on how many babies I have.
    For me, it was the opposite- I got more colorful when I got to Utah (tattoos, that is.) 'member to let me know when you are ready to ship 'em out.
    Jason--
    Red 5 Standing By...

It really seems to depend what shops I go into ... I remember a local reptile shop that was bursting with garters about 15years ago ... now I can barely find any -

1) the local exotics shop just opened in town didn't even know that garters are live bearing and is totally clueless when I rattle through the subspecies in my conversation. (Saying that the owner was also bamboozled as to what colour an everglades ratsnake was). They are interested in babies but want them at wholesale rates. I'll keep at them. I think when they see the first few babies they'll change their minds! I refuse to even entertain the thought of letting any of my litters go at WC prices!!

2) Another exotics shop 25mins away recently bought in WC ribbons (~I got Panama from here) ... advertised as sauritus (even after I corrected him) ... advertised as including insects in their diet (even after I corrected him) ... and as far as I know I'm the only one that's bought one so far. He's not interested in CB because they're 'too small and nobody wants them' (although that didn't seem to apply to the hatchling hognoses he had in stock) - ie they don't make me enough money unless I buy WC at £5 each and sell them for £30.

3) Another shop further north advertises them but never has them in stock .... although they have sold CB checkereds in the past.

The good news -
    Serpentus Exotics in Dunfermline is great - only buy CB (preferably Scottish), are very knowledgeable, owner used to keep garters, knows who Alan Francis is, have an excellent reputation and ... make a good cup of coffee .... I think I know where I'll be offering my snakies to!!!

I've faced garter snubbery on many a forum. When I ask on a thread for an expo if there'll be any garters there's never an answer ---- when I suggest garters to someone then someone else will pipe in with comments like 'they smell, get a corn' or ' get a royal'.

I spread the word as much as I can ... my friends are all amazed by how active and personable my garters are.

Thank Boots and all of us for giving us this refuge I say!!!
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

I get very vocal when I get those looks
    it generally happens at this particular vendor's table; they have something like seven tables with just about every animal on the herp market, and they do often have garters; usually I'm standing right next to some giant with a huge boid wrapped around their arm when I'm asking where the garters are (right by the frogs); the boid speaks for itself and I speak for the garters - usually to the people checking out the frogs, but I try to talk loud enough, so that the boid guy who just gave me the look can hear me
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain