Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Third shed, A Success" mtolypetsupply's Avatar

Color Morph Genetics- What makes what?

So I've been DROOLING over Scott Felzer's garters. He's got some amazing projects coming up! So I started getting interested in the morph of everything he's producing, and seeing all the corn snake and honduran and python and boa genetics, but I wasn't able to find a really good source for garter genetics.

So I know that Amel x Anery = Snow

But where do all the other morphs come from? How does he get blue red-sideds? What makes a silver? A granite?

Stephi
    check out our new website at
    www.HerpEden.com

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

Re: Color Morph Genetics- What makes what?

i think those just popped up randomly through breeding
    Quote Originally Posted by mtolypetsupply View Post
    So I've been DROOLING over Scott Felzer's garters. He's got some amazing projects coming up! So I started getting interested in the morph of everything he's producing, and seeing all the corn snake and honduran and python and boa genetics, but I wasn't able to find a really good source for garter genetics.

So I know that Amel x Anery = Snow

But where do all the other morphs come from? How does he get blue red-sideds? What makes a silver? A granite?
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

TwistidMutations

A granite was a wild caught checkered garter found here in texas and was proved simple ressive like the albino gene.the blue red sided is a locality thing from the pacific northwest and you got me on the silver.

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

There are far more people that can explain this better than I but I will throw in my two cents while I still can.

The consept of "designer Garters" is relatively new and many times smaller than the scale seen in animals that you mentioned (i.e. Corns, Kings, boids...). We are still in the early stages compared to these other animals, and as a result of that many of the Morph Garters you see now are a result of WC individual snakes or in some cases, specific populations where the desired traits have been found.

Scott and others can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the vast majority of the morphs available today are simple recessive genes, both parents carrying a specific trait that breed to produce that same trait. Because Garters are relatively new to the morph business very few morphs (I can only think of snows, albino flames, albino erys, and a few others still being worked on) have actually been produced from something other than a WC individual already carrying a specific trait.

Scott is the first that I know of to really get into the discovering/creating (which ever you prefer) of new morphs, something that a percetage of the people in the hobby ( and on this site I would assume) are against.

-Thomas
    Last edited by MasSalvaje; 04-16-2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by MasSalvaje View Post
    Scott is the first that I know of to really get into the discovering/creating (which ever you prefer) of new morphs, something that a percetage of the people in the hobby ( and on this site I would assume) are against.
    I'm not against it, I do find them interesting as curiosities, but what appeals to me the most, are the morphs that can represent a wild population.

In short, pretty or unusual colors don't appeal to me. If there is a population somewhere, where a significant proportion have an unusual coloration, I'd consider a representative from that population extremely interesting, just because of what it is, rather than because of how it looks.

I'm not against it. I just don't like the results very much. I think they are so much less attractive that naturally occurring forms.
    James.

Subadult snake

Hi,

A lot of the snakes I have acquired have been found in the wild. The silver was found in upper New York (as a naturally occuring morph) the blue red sided was found in Iowa (not the upper northwest as Caleb had noted) and the granite was found as a naturally occuring morph in Texas. Hope this sheds some light.

Scott

PS If anyone has questions regarding any morphs/species I work with they are welcome to contact me directly @ SFelzer1@nc.rr.com. Sometimes things get misconstrued in forums.
    Scott Felzer
    www.albinogartersnake.com
    919-413-8321 EST

I didn't intend any criticism of anyone choosing these forms, just stating my personal preferences. It's all a matter of choice, 'to each his own'.
    James.

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

I am with you James when you say "to each his own." Garters are amazing animals no matter what color they are so I will always have interest in even the plainest of sorts. That said there are some amazing colors out there that (IMHO) add to the appeal. Some morphs don't catch my eye all that much while others keep me awake at night as I think about possibly owning one.

-Thomas

Subadult snake

James,

I agree 100%, well said.

Scott
    Scott Felzer
    www.albinogartersnake.com
    919-413-8321 EST