Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    "Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Rack v. Vivarium?

I apologize if this thread is already out there and I realize this can be a touchy subject for some but which do you prefer and why?

For example: Is it better to use a Vivarium but have to keep multiples in the one cage or use a rack and house each one seperate?

I don't want this to turn into a Good v. Evil battle but I would like to know the pros and cons of both specifically regarding the housing of Thamnophis, I am not interested in reading comments on any other group.

Thanks everyone and keep it clean!

-Thomas

Re: Rack v. Vivarium?

We've discussed it a few times over the years, but we've never really done more than just scratch the surface.

Which is better, is in my opinion impossible to say, unless we're talking about very specific aspects of keeping snakes. Naturally, we can't know exactly what goes through the mind of the snake, so it's pretty pointless to speculate about which they like more. There's no real way to measure how satisfied they are with their housing solution, even though longevity and breeding success can be used as indicators. Then again, there's that pesky comparison between quantity and quality, which I feel applies to life as much as it does to anything else. Disregard that, it's my view, which has nothing to do with the animals. But I do think that when nothing points to the contrary, mimicing nature is the best solution.

I'd imagine racks are easier to maintain and you can house more snakes in a rack than in vivs, when they both require the same surface area. However, I like to observe my snakes. How many snakes I can keep or how many different morphs I can collect doesn't mean much to me, so I don't really have a need to house large quantities. I don't like the idea of providing the snakes with just absolute minimum of space and it may be good for their health to have a bit more space to move and especially to have room to climb.Thamnophis species are active foragers, not sit-and-wait predators, so it is natural for them to move around a lot. Some of them are very skittish and when I have housed individuals that are skittish in rack-like enclosures, it has always been difficult to handle them without risking having them eject themselves from the enclosure and injure themselves.

Good debate. I think racks are more cost effective and easier to clean etc, but a viv is much better looking. It all depends if you want to display your animals or have breeding in mind. then again if you was cooling your snakes you would have to cool the whole group. i would love more vivariums but i'm limited to what I can keep as i work away a lot.

Vivaria, every time!

James.

Same here. I like to watch my snakes, I collect them as well, but to me what is the point in having a hundred pretty animals if I cannot witness that beauty?

(same disclaimer as Stefan, Solely my opinion)

The more space the better ... I wouldn't be happy living in a room when I could live in a house ... + instead of cleaning 8 tubs .... I only have to clean 4 vivs (with my garters on communal time ... I have tubs for babies, quarantine and for a place to keep 'em when I clean .... but even if I had 100 snakes (like some of us do ) I would still go for vivs every time.

Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

viviaria here too.... i think they seem happier when housed together... just brought meadow back from a month of being away and now they all rush out to great her every time i put her in......

i also love to wake up and see all their little faces peeking out from the hides.... in a rack system the only time you'd see them was at feeding time and then what's the point? why have an animal if you can't even tell it's there?

sure the racks are slightly easier to clean and manage the snakes but the snakes won't have many of the little pleasures in life like climbing, or communication........
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Thamnophis species are active foragers, not sit-and-wait predators, so it is natural for them to move around a lot.
    Excellent pics everyone!

So it seems that vivarium is the preferred way to go, at least so far. Are there any circumstances that you would use a rack?

To go with Stefan's quote above I have a particular brumating den I like to visit many times a year just a few minutes from my house. For the last few years I have observed the same female and some of her habits. I know it is the same female because of a very unique scar she has. Anyway I have found her in many different spots within a few hundred yard radius eating a variaty of different prey items, throughout different times of the day. I found her one evening just befor dusk, she had eaten a big meal and was still on the move back to the den. Showing that even when full they are more active than a lot of other species. None of this is very scientific I realize just my own personal observation salitifying Stefan's statement.

-Thomas

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

i wouldn't ever use one.....
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Quote Originally Posted by MasSalvaje View Post
    Are there any circumstances that you would use a rack?
    During brumation. Can't think of any other circumstances, except some very unusual ones.