Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For First shed"

Prehistoric Anaconda.

Today on my way home from work I picked up a paper and found an article relating to snakes. Seems that researchers have found the fossil of snake estimated to be 42 feet long, and over 2000 lbs. Here is a link to the article online:

Fossil of monster snake found in Colombia - USATODAY.com

Re: Prehistoric Anaconda.

pretty cool
    thanks for the link
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

WOW!!! That is one huge snake.

Zoe

cool article!!!! gotta comment on the last quote....

"We could try to scare everyone with that idea," Bloch said, "but in all honesty civilization would not let a snake reach this size again."

now how does this genius think we can stop evolution???? if the snakes are gonna grow that big, how do we stop that without wiping out the planet.....and who are we to pick what animals can grow to what size.....

yeah I read this article the other day! & I was going to post it but I had figured all you guys had probably even seen it before I did lol
    <3 Snakems

Quote Originally Posted by ssssnakeluvr View Post
    now how does this genius think we can stop evolution???? if the snakes are gonna grow that big, how do we stop that without wiping out the planet.....and who are we to pick what animals can grow to what size.....
    We can't stop it, but we can exert our influence it as long as we exist. We're pretty good at killing things that might pose a threat.
    Last edited by Stefan-A; 02-06-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ssssnakeluvr View Post
    well . . . it is kind of what has been happening
    humans are great for negative selective impact
    leave it to humans to reduce the deer population of a given region to the puniest ones - the exact reverse of what animal predators would do, who care more about eating an easy catch (weakest animal) than mounting a splendid rack over their mantle (best bull)
    just one example, and I will stop right here although I can think of a few more
    most large animal species are nearing extinction and are requiring protection now
    I think that guy is just being realistic
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    We can't stop it, but we can excert our influence it as long as we exist. We're pretty good at killing things that might pose a threat.

The World will surely be a beautiful and awesome place once we're no longer around to spoil it. I wish I could be here to see it!
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    leave it to humans to reduce the deer population of a given region to the puniest ones - the exact reverse of what animal predators would do, who care more about eating an easy catch (weakest animal) than mounting a splendid rack over their mantle (best bull)
    It seems to me that we'd be reducing the average antler size in the population, which I think is what's happening to elk in this part of the world. At the same time pretty much the same traits benefit them, as when (other) predators hunt them.

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    The World will surely be a beautiful and awesome place once we're no longer around to spoil it. I wish I could be here to see it!
    I wouldn't bet on it, it's been pretty inhospitable in the past.