Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    "First shed In Progress"

Quick Question on Live Feeding

This might stir up some emotions in folks...it certainly does for me. I can understand how some snakes will ONLY eat live, and will starve themselves for over a year until they get something live. I also understand that some snakes need to be started on live until switched to f/t. What I don't understand is in a case where a snake, or lizard, or gecko, will happily eat a f/t pinkie/mouse/rat and the owner INSISTS on only feeding it live. I was just wonering what the point in that was? I've heard SO many arguments and just cannot see any logic in this. I've even heard many beeders say "I try not to feed f/t unless there's no other choice." Personally, I'd rather not risk the reptile's health and safety, and not be cruel to the prey item by forcing it to go through such a painful experience. I eat meat...but I don't eat a cow or pig while it's still alive
    50+ rats, 9 mice, 10 ASFRs, 3 geckos, 4 gerbils, 5 snakes, 3 rabbits, 2 frogs, 2 dogs, 1 opossum, 1 chinchilla, 2 hamsters, 3 water dragons, 1 newt, and 1 fiance'.

Re: Quick Question on Live Feeding

maybe its the fact that they prefer to feed it live because that is how the animal would eat its prey in the wild
    ~~~Kevin~~~
    1.3 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (george, checkers, turk and squirt)

"Preparing For Second shed" NetBSD's Avatar

i think its the newcomers that like live feedings because they think its neat, i feed live but thats because thats what my BP's eat right now, i havent tried pre killed yet but i plan on giving it a shot sometime next year. over on another board someone just took in a BP that was left overnight with a rat, if anyone wants to see why live feeding really gets to some people go here.

WARNING: it isnt for the weak

Rescue case suggestions - Constrictors Forums

it is a very good example of why live feeding isnt a good idea unless you are willing to sit there and watch very very VERY closly. this snake got lucky and survived, now we can just hope and pray it makes it thru the healing process

you have to join to see the pics could you possibly make a copy and post them
    ~~~Kevin~~~

"First shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by crzy_kevo View Post
    maybe its the fact that they prefer to feed it live because that is how the animal would eat its prey in the wild
    That's the number one reason I hear why people feed live. I just don't understand it. IT's not natural to breed snakes in a domestic setting, it's not natural to give it a domestic prey item. It's also not natural to give it reptile carpet, aspen shavings, or any other type of litter...definitely not natural to keep it in a tank or other enclosure that keeps it contained. And in the case of non-native species, it's not natural to have it in the country...so that excuse just flew out the window...

NetBSD - Most of the newer snake owners I've met were very open to the idea of f/t food when we told them the things a live rat/mouse can do to a snake. IT's the seasoned ones that swear by only feeding live that I don't understand.

To back my case, one of the more recent rescue rats I got in had killed an adult ball python just a few hours before I got her. I also saw an ad on craigslist one day where a person's corn snake was eaten alive by a mouse. In both of these cases, the owner watched the animals very carefully...it only takes a split second for a rodent to severely injure a snake.

The two ball pythons we have were only ever fed live until we got them. They were both malnourished, but that's because the owner fed the older one one fuzzie mouse once a month and the other had never eaten...They took f/t food after we had them only a week, without any hesitation whatsoever. Maybe we got lucky, do have had problem feeders before (i.e. our hognose. He won't eat at all. Our next step is to try a live pinkie to see if that will get him interested in eating, then we'll try f/t again, braining a f/t didn't even work with him.)

My fiance' thinks that people who prefer live over frozen has to deal with the owner's own insecurities, so they feel power by taking a living animal and pinning it against another living animal...and after some arguments I've had with people, I'm beginning to think he's right.
    50+ rats, 9 mice, 10 ASFRs, 3 geckos, 4 gerbils, 5 snakes, 3 rabbits, 2 frogs, 2 dogs, 1 opossum, 1 chinchilla, 2 hamsters, 3 water dragons, 1 newt, and 1 fiance'.

If a snake will take frozen/thawed prey, I can't see the point in using live..... all the usual reasons, also it's so much less convenient.
    James.

"Preparing For Second shed" NetBSD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crzy_kevo View Post
    you have to join to see the pics could you possibly make a copy and post them

sure but again, WARNING, it isnt nice

Quote Originally Posted by JLynn
    So I recently took on a rescue case. It's a female ball about 8ish months old. Her previous owner left a rat in with her overnight and said rat chewed her spine in 4 different spots. Currently I'm treating her with betadine and antibiotic cream to keep out infection along with keeping her on paper towel. She does not appear to have nerve damage. Just wonder if there was anything else I could do to help her out?

Sorry for crappy pictures, only had access to a camera phone.

i also resized the pics to take some of the load off my home server where the pics are stored, you get the idea

I guess that illustrates the point clearly enough! But to be honest, I think most people who do use live prey would be smart enough to remove it if it's not taken quite quickly.
    I still don't see the point though, unless it's necessary.
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    But to be honest, I think most people who do use live prey would be smart enough to remove it if it's not taken quite quickly.
    I'm not convinced most of them are smart enough to do that, I think most of them are just lucky.

that just makes me sick how could some1 let that happen i hope they never get another snake or pet for that matter
    ~~~Kevin~~~