Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "First shed In Progress"

A new kiddo followed us home!

We went into Petco to get the snake food and as usual I wondered over to the adoption table. Next to 2 tanks of gerbils was this teeny little green tree frog in a giant 20 gallon tank. I had to inquire about him, and found out he had a "busted" eye. Being the sucker I am, I brought him home.

I have been researching like crazy about this eye issue and haven't found anything at all that looks like this. The employee said that he had what looked like a tumor under the eye and they had been giving him some kind of eye drops, then it "erupted" and sunk in. He hasn't moved at all since I put him in his terrarium, but the b/f said that's normal.

Pics:

Here you can see the bad eye

This is the stick I sat him on hours ago, and he's still sitting there:

I still haven't named him yet, but his health is what's concerning me the most.

Also wanted to share a couple random pics:

House gecko:

My BP:
    50+ rats, 9 mice, 10 ASFRs, 3 geckos, 4 gerbils, 5 snakes, 3 rabbits, 2 frogs, 2 dogs, 1 opossum, 1 chinchilla, 2 hamsters, 3 water dragons, 1 newt, and 1 fiance'.

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Aundrea's Avatar

Re: A new kiddo followed us home!

That little frog is sooooooooooooooooooo CUTE!!! Hope he will be ok. Your Gecko and BP are cute also.
    1 Ball Python Spenser
    2 Dekayi's Bennie, Max
    1 Ornate Boxie Turtle Lola
    1 Baby Russian Tortoise Lilly
    1 Beagle Dog Maycee

Aww, poor froggy.
    Keep his temps up and humidity high! Make sure that doesn't develop into an infection.
    I like the house gecko too. Very cute.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

awwwww on the tree froggie!! Sooo cute!!! I hope his eye will be ok...
    I like that house gecko... awesome.

Your BP is gorgeous!!!! Thanks for sharing
    Stephanie

"First shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Aww, poor froggy.
    Keep his temps up and humidity high! Make sure that doesn't develop into an infection.
    I like the house gecko too. Very cute.
    How should he be getting the heat? From an UTH or a light? I've read on places only to use heat pads, others to only use lighting, and yet others to say not give a heat source...Even read on one place that they need UVB!
    50+ rats, 9 mice, 10 ASFRs, 3 geckos, 4 gerbils, 5 snakes, 3 rabbits, 2 frogs, 2 dogs, 1 opossum, 1 chinchilla, 2 hamsters, 3 water dragons, 1 newt, and 1 fiance'.

"Preparing For First shed" tyflier's Avatar

You need to know the exact subspecies to know what are the optimal conditions to keep it in.

In general, frogs and amphibians do better with over head lighting rather than an UTH. They are baskers, and they will thirve under appropriate temperatures with UV lights much better than a UTH. Obviously the lights make it more difficult to keep humidity up...

With the eye...it would be nice to know what, exactly, happened. The shop didn't give you much info...it could have been a devestating injury that ruptured due to abcess, or it could simply have been an infection gone wrong. Hard to say, for sure.

I wouldn't recommend any sort of topical creams with an amphibian because they can absorb large amounts of cream through the skin, and *could* have a bad reaction. I would recommend taking it to a vet for a topical culture to see if there is a large infection present, and if so what type and how to treat it.

Good Luck. You may be in for a rocky trip with a traumatic eye injury in an amphib. But if that little guy survives the ordeal, it will be worth it...frogs are cool!

"First shed In Progress"

Thanks! I'll do more google searching to figure out the subspecies and see about getting him to the vet.

S/he ate 5 crickets from my tweezers this evening and we got some pictures of it. I'm guessing that eating is a good sign!

He's a cutie. Keep us posted on him! Tell him what I've told Curious: If you loose the eye, at least you get to wear a cool eye patch... it'll drive the chicks crazy... lol
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

"First shed In Progress"

Here are the pics we snapped of the little guy when I fed him last night:

And for fun, the fiance's new water dragon!

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

OH my goodness he is so cute! Please do keep us posted on the little guy! Love the water dragon chillin' on his water dish, too.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.