"First shed In Progress"

Saw my first wild snake in 6 years, and scared my mom in the process.

Let me start off by saying my mom does not know I have a snake...let alone 5. I keep her in the dark about this because she's scared to death of them, and does not understand them. This is also why she's never invited to the house...I don 't want her to see all the enclosures.

I moved to Wisconsin 6 years ago. Before that, I lived in North Carolina where we saw snakes constantly (mostly copperheads, cotton mouths, rattlers, etc.) Very rarely would I see a garter. In fact, I still haven't seen a garter in almost 9 years in the wild. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but we never went "herping."

Anyways, today while walking back to the truck from work (which was in the woods today,) my mom was walking in front of me. Suddenly she shouts, "Oh my god! A snake!" and takes off towards the truck. I look down in time to see a tiny baby eastern fox snake cross my path. My immediate reaction didn't help conceal the fact that I have 2 of my own. Without thinking I said, "Aw! A baby fox snake!" And proceeded to pick it up.

Mom turned around and screamed, "Don't pick it up! It might be poisonous." I told her they were perfectly harmless and it was just a tiny baby. I put it down and tried my best to catch up with her. In the truck I ended up spouting out random info about the snakes in hopes that it'll make her less afraid of them. Instead she just changed the subject.
    50+ rats, 9 mice, 10 ASFRs, 3 geckos, 4 gerbils, 5 snakes, 3 rabbits, 2 frogs, 2 dogs, 1 opossum, 1 chinchilla, 2 hamsters, 3 water dragons, 1 newt, and 1 fiance'.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

Re: Saw my first wild snake in 6 years, and scared my mom in the process.

lol that's funny too bad she doesn't like them though...... don't know who wouldn't???
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Most of my friends & family members don't like reptiles nor snakes... but so far I got all my neighbors & the kids loving my reptiles & snakes... My mom won't touch a snake, but she just says leave it in the tank. One of my daughters friends is afraid of snakes, I always tell her, when she is sleeping I am going to put George on her..LOL

When I bought my first snake ever back in 2002... I didn't know I was going to fall in love ....LOL
    Stephanie

Also... I have never, ever seen any kind of wild-garter,ribbon or dekayi snakes!!!!

I get everything else.. opossum,deer, turkey, foxes, lizards etc...
    Stephanie