Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

Signs of Breeding?

well i have 3 garter snakes one looks like a juvenile one looks like an adolecent(Ado) and the other a full grown adult the Ado and adult are always together in fact the ado when with the adult lies all over the adult and then starts jiggling especially the back end of the Ado snake are they trying to breed? or whats going on it was a family of snakes when i got them or so it seemed i will be posting a video on youtube shortly it will be called Sings of Breeding? i will also link it on this topic once it is up.

please respond ASAP thanks

BeardedIggy

Never shed

Re: Signs of Breeding?

my snakes are mating :S my sister caught them in the act of mating what a nast thing to walk into haha what should i do?

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

try not to bother them
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedIggy View Post
    my snakes are mating :S my sister caught them in the act of mating what a nast thing to walk into haha what should i do?
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

yeah - leave them alone
    and it's not nasty unless you're victorian and in that case - get the smelling salts
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Never shed

ugh but im not so sure i want babies yet :P i jst barely got them and all i got for extra cages right now are a ten gallon tank hw do i tell if my female is gravid and what do i need to do if she does give birth?

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

I responded on your other thread, but I would release the mating two where you found them. Let them "do their thing" in the wild, create more babies for next year, etc. Just keep the third for a pet and if you are ready for another next year there will always be more available, either captive bred or wild in your area.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Never shed

i know the petstore around where i live sells Ribbon Snakes maybe they buy garter snakes? i am willing to do research into breeding if neccissary i have a smaller tank that i could house babies in if needed

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

i know the petstore around where i live sells Ribbon Snakes maybe they buy garter snakes? i am willing to do research into breeding if neccissary i have a smaller tank that i could house babies in if needed
    it sounds like you are not quite prepared to take care of a litter of garter snakes... the female can have anywhere between 10 and 50!!!! Depending of course, on how big she is.

Taking care of that many baby garters is a lot of work, they have to eat every other day, they poop a LOT, and they can dehydrate or starve very quickly if they are not kept right and become too stressed to eat or drink.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

It is a strange time of season for a mating to work in the wild.

If gestation were to begin now, the litter would be due just in time for winter brumation, not a good scenario (I think)

I know that females retain sperm, but isn't that when they copulate on the way into the dens??

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    it sounds like you are not quite prepared to take care of a litter of garter snakes... the female can have anywhere between 10 and 50!!!! Depending of course, on how big she is.

Taking care of that many baby garters is a lot of work, they have to eat every other day, they poop a LOT, and they can dehydrate or starve very quickly if they are not kept right and become too stressed to eat or drink.
    it onl seem that way because even though i have aked for some help on them you guys have only discouraged me from doing so

iam a proud owner of a Bearded Dragon i also used to care for an iguana i had done tons of research on both these animals i think i might be up to th task at hand, and im not trying to be rude here.

also Dekaybrown said

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    It is a strange time of season for a mating to work in the wild.

If gestation were to begin now, the litter would be due just in time for winter brumation, not a good scenario (I think)

I know that females retain sperm, but isn't that when they copulate on the way into the dens??
    so if had did the researh needed to house baby snakes would they not b better off in a warmer inviroment?