"First shed In Progress" kurtnagel's Avatar

Feeding Preferences

Hey All,

Do you find that your snakes have a "preferred" way of getting their food? Just curious. Rosa hasn't been eating this week. I usual to waggle a bit of f/t fish, pinky or night crawler with tongs and ... This week, she refused night crawlers, pinkies, tilapia, all her usual staples and hiding more in her hidey. However, tonight I dropped some live fish in her water bowl and within minutes, she came out of her hide and took them all, so I selected two more good size specimens and dropped them in. Soon as I turned my back, she took them.

(SIDE NOTE: I have yet to see her hunt and catch fish from her bowl,. She seems to avoid it while I am watching. I'd love to see it!)

So I am just wondering: It seems like she knows the instant there is live fish in her water bowl and she has never refused them. So is it the fish or the hunt? To me it would seem more "fun" to catch my meal in this way, but I suspect she just likes fish
    Last edited by kurtnagel; 09-13-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Typo In Title
    Kurt

Rosa - Adult Female W/C Plains
    Agua - Neo-Nate Female C/B Puget

Re: Feeding Preferences

It all depends on the snake

We have some that will take Tilapia or Salmon without hesitation, some that will consume unscented pinks, some that I have to rub live fish on the food, some that prefer to start with a worm, and then eat something else......

In time we learn what our pets need from us... It's how they train us

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post

some that prefer to start with a worm, and then eat something else......
    ahahaha, sheesh, I thought I was the only one who catered to every baby snake individually... especially the ones mentioned above.... LOL. They really do prefer to have that piece of worm to start! its so cute!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Most of mine will munch straight from the food bowl and will grab whatever they first encounter. My only fussy eaters are Xerxes (who hasn't given up on babyfood yet - needs worm-scented offerings) and J who still believes that food should be airborne in order to be suitable for consumption (he has surprised me and used the food bowl once or twice but ... tweezer feeding is his all-time fave).
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.