Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "First shed In Progress"

Dusting nightcrawlers?

I've read that I should be dusting the nightcrawlers for my girl. She's on the worms and feeder guppies, and I may switch her to f/t pinkies one day. What vitamin supplements should she be getting now? She's just over a month old.
    50+ rats, 9 mice, 10 ASFRs, 3 geckos, 4 gerbils, 5 snakes, 3 rabbits, 2 frogs, 2 dogs, 1 opossum, 1 chinchilla, 2 hamsters, 3 water dragons, 1 newt, and 1 fiance'.

Re: Dusting nightcrawlers?

its all personal preference, if you are including feeder guppies, then the snakes are getting calcium. A little dusting here and there with a bit of flukers won't really hurt anything.

I have a bottle of reptile spray vitamins, But hardly ever remember to use it

A balanced diet is more important than "feel good" dust and spray.

"First shed In Progress"

So just night crawlers and fish are fine for a complete diet? Wow, I've heard all kinds of things about a complete diet. I've heard you can only get it with dusting the nightcrawlers if you're feeding that and fish, and I've heard you can only get a balanced diet with rodents.
    50+ rats, 9 mice, 10 ASFRs, 3 geckos, 4 gerbils, 5 snakes, 3 rabbits, 2 frogs, 2 dogs, 1 opossum, 1 chinchilla, 2 hamsters, 3 water dragons, 1 newt, and 1 fiance'.

"Third shed, A Success"

i dust. more so for the babies who around here seem to take nothing but worms at first.

I never dusted last year on my eastern babies; All of them did fine. Of course, I eventually introduced different food items (Cut up feeder fish, pinky parts, slugs) After a while. My butler's garter snakes eat almost nothing but nightcrawlers and they are growing and have reproduced fine.
    **EDIT- However, for all my babies this year, I'm using a mix of two different fishes, calcium carbonate, pinkies/fuzzies, and worms blended together.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

"First shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    I never dusted last year on my eastern babies; All of them did fine. Of course, I eventually introduced different food items (Cut up feeder fish, pinky parts, slugs) After a while. My butler's garter snakes eat almost nothing but nightcrawlers and they are growing and have reproduced fine.
    **EDIT- However, for all my babies this year, I'm using a mix of two different fishes, calcium carbonate, pinkies/fuzzies, and worms blended together.
    What two different fish are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    What two different fish are you using?
    Salmon and tilapia; a lot cheaper than feeder fish. Although I may throw anchovies or sardine "fillets" in there occasionally as well.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi

In Hog Heaven

ZEPHER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you DARE waste anchovies on your snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put them on MY pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I actually thought about anchovies. But decided it prolly wouldn't be good for the snakies due to all the salt. Yeah, you can rinse them but they do have bones - albeit soft ones - but would still be salty as thass yust the way anchovies are. Major reason I LOVE them! I don't know.

Me? I'd not do sardines and anchovies.
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

"First shed In Progress"

Okay, another question.

If I feed "fillets", then won't the garter not be getting the calcium it needs that it can get from the feeder fish? Or is that just a "sometimes" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Okay, another question.

If I feed "fillets", then won't the garter not be getting the calcium it needs that it can get from the feeder fish? Or is that just a "sometimes" thing?
    That's why I throw in the pinkies and calcium carbonate. :P
    0.1 Storeria dekayi