Thread: my new baby

my new baby

HI GUYS!!! i havnt posted on here in a while, its good to do that again, rico is doing great and hes got a new friend across the room.

a baby ball python im rather new to pythons how do i feed the baby? if he doesnt want to eat cause i got him yesterday?

Re: my new baby

tease feed your baby by holding a thawed out peach fuzzy (thaw it in a plastic bag sitting in warm water, (never nuke it) so the fuzzy is warm when you offer it, hold it by the tail, and shake it gently in front of baby.

Eventually, Shanon will chime in, she has a few BP

In Hog Heaven

Congratulations on your new baby!
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

What has the baby been eating up until you got him?
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

thats right, I am here to chime in. I've got 11 BP's... theyre very easy to work with AS LONG as you have them set up the right way. make sure the heat is just right, make sure he has a large water bowl, and small dark places to hide.

Take a F/t rodent (preferably a rat pup, as it will save you the hassile of having to switch over to rats later when your snake is going to want mice) and run it under the hot water. blot it dry with a paper towel.

gently squeeze its head until some brain fluid comes out of the nostril. Take some tweezers or something of the sort and slowly, very slowly approach the snake with the mouse... make it look like the mouse is crawling around on the ground... slowly. keep the head somewhat facing the snake so that's the part he grabs. jsut make sure when you are about to feed that you dont disturb him for a day or two. Open the cage while he is hiding, and then "make the rat crawl" in front of teh snake's hidey box.

The idea in getting a BP to eat, is to make him think that a mouse has just happened to wander past him, if he knows you are there and he is afraid, chances are he will not eat. Once they get more used to you feeding them they usually will come and meet you halfway for their meal! I know my little splat does!

If feeding him during the daytime does not work... wait until the middle of the night and try again in the dark.

Feed 1 food item per week. it should be the width of the fattest part of your little ball.

Hope this helps! BP's are notorious for going off feed. They are highly unforgiving of the slightest thing that may be wrong with their surroundings, whether it be humidity, temps, water bowl... hides...

good luck!! let us know if he eats for ya!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

yeah it didnt eat, i got his cage set up nice he seems to like it, its alot better than the cage he was in at petco and it was eating there.

i use IT cause idk if its a guy or girl so i named it leroy lol

In Hog Heaven

I wonder if we're gonna have a she Leroy like we have a she George.
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

georgette and leroyanne?
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

yeah most likely lol he was being fed fuzzies thats what i have but idk when he was fed last and i called petco and asked and they couldnt remember. idk if this is the best way to approach the feeding problem but....he/she named leroy does edventually have to eat and he will get hungry so im just going to keep offering him/her named leroy a fuzzy every day around the time i see him/her named leroy most active