Thread: Shipping snakes

Shipping snakes

I've noticed a few of you have mentioned getting garters from other members. If at any time I have the opportunity to purchase/trade from someone, (in the U.S.), what are the costs and logistics involved in shipping our babies? I have seen so many gorgeous garters in your posts that it will only be a matter of time beofre I start enlarging my collection.
    Take care,
    Jerry

Re: Shipping snakes

My biggest number one requirement, OVERNIGHT we simply cannot leave them in a box for more than several hours.

2 day and other economy shipping methods will not do.

On a sunny day, a box inside a truck, parked on asphalt can cook your snakes.

With overnight, drop the box with your shipper as late as you can, and schedule delivery as early as you can.

that's exactly what i reccomend. so far i've had no problems, but i know that sooner or later there could be an issue (law of averages) and it's a risk i'm willing to take, 'cause without shipping most of us wouldn't be able to have the snakes we really want.
    tina, aka garterchick

Subadult snake

A few more details - UPS does not allow snakes to be shipped. They do ship lizards. It is illegal to ship snakes via USPS.

FedEx allows snake shipping but there is a process they want you to go through to get "certified". Most employees do not know that FedEx ships reptiles so if you call and ask they will tell you it is not allowed. There are web sites that can give the details on how to get certified. It is not hard and costs nothing but for some it has been time consuming.

There is a new website that has worked with FedEx to allow anyone to ship and they send you the shipping boxes for free. I do not know how they do it but I believe a lot of people are signing up and trying it! I will check if this is cheaper than shipping the way I normally do and I will try it.
    http://www.reptster.com/connections/...edex_terms.php

Shipping costs have gone through the roof and are usually between $45 - $65 for next day delivery before 10:30 AM.

The other thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the temps. Many people will not ship if the temps are above 80-90 or below 40. Also it is not recommended to ship on Thursday for a Friday delivery since if anything goes wrong the snake could be in a box for the weekend! A lot of people will not ship from the beginning of Dec. until after the first week of January because of the holiday rush.

Hope that answers your questions!
    Joanna
    mojoherps@gmail.com
    MoJo Herps on Facebook

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

It worries me to give them all my billing info. What do they need it for? FedEx? Do you have the names of people who have used them with no problems? Don't know why I am being so sceptical. Maybe it seems to good to be true. lol
    Amanda Tolleson

In Hog Heaven

As a about-to-be recipient I'd prefer weekday delivery like a Wed as that's in the middle of the week and you've a two-day window prior to the weekend.

However, I've no PTO left and can't take off work. So, it will be Saturday.
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

Subadult snake

Quote Originally Posted by GartersRock View Post
    It worries me to give them all my billing info. What do they need it for? FedEx? Do you have the names of people who have used them with no problems? Don't know why I am being so sceptical. Maybe it seems to good to be true. lol
    I am trying to get in touch with some people to find out their experiences. I think they bill you as soon as book a shipment which is why they need your billing info. I am looking into it some more and will let you know. I think you should also call their customer service if you need to. I think that should help out.

If I ship I will let you know how it gos.
    Joanna
    mojoherps@gmail.com
    MoJo Herps on Facebook

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Thanks Joanna! =D
    Amanda Tolleson