Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Never shed

My snake JUST escaped.

I think he was planning it all along. Just watching me... sitting in his water dish... waiting for his window of opportunity... which apparently came in a 1 min. window after I put the worm in with him and before I changed his bedding to find him.... vanished!!!

Sigh. The tank was already used when we were conned into buying it. You have to be aware when you're closing it because the lid is warped. I wasn't because the snake has been so lethargic lately and he's never tried this before. He shed his skin and then peaced out.

Boo, I say. Boo to this, snake!! Boo!! Not cool!!

We just moved into a new one bedroom apartment, so it's better than if he had escaped at the other house, but still. Boo.

"First shed, A Success" beaniesmommy's Avatar

Re: My snake JUST escaped.

I am so sorry I home you find him. Did you check his bedding really well? Sometimes they burrow...

Andrea
    ANDREA
    "Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows"

Never shed

Yeah - I was using newspaper during the move and I unfolded it all to check that first when I was still saying "What the....?!?"

What makes it worse is that I had a dream last night that my snake was escaping and I accidentally stepped on him and crushed part of his body. Then I put him in the freezer to put him out of his misery.

So now I'm paranoid about what might happen to him now that I have no idea where he might be.

"First shed, A Success" beaniesmommy's Avatar

Oh... I hate dreams like that. I hope it doesn't become reality. Look under the couches and behind things. Maybe set a food item out in the area he escaped from? Search all rooms really well then put towels really tight in the bottom cracks of the doors, that will keep them isolated to the room he is in? I have never had this happen I am just throwing ideas out there for you.

Keep us posted.
    ANDREA
    "Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows"

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

o that stinks.... well i lose mine all the time the bigger they are the easier they are to find!!! and you just moved so there shouldn't be too much clutter right???? but i'd DEF stuff things under the dors to keep him in isolation.... he'll come out some time!!! good luck!!!
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Reminds me of a story....(segue dream sequence)

I was coming home from school one day, many, many, many years ago. As I was crossing a footbridge over a creek I found a baby Garter. So I picked him up and took him home. I knew both of my parents hated snakes and there was no way they'd let me keep it. However, I figured if I found just the right moment to ask, followed by a show and tell demonstrating how unassuming this little fella was, they'd change their mind.

So, I didn't have a place to hide this poor snake, and the best I could find was a wicker clothes hamper. In he went.

Later that day, I went back to retrieve him and......OH NO! He's gone! Oh boy am I in trouble! So I foolishly told my older sister what had happened. She immediately went to my parents and spilled the beans. Man did I get it!

I tore through the house (on the command of my father), looking for a tiny snake. Couldn't find him anywhere.

Several days later I was in the basement where the scene of the crime happend. Low and behold the snake was sunning himself on the floor in a beam of light coming through a window. Right under the ping pong table, not 3 feet from the hamper. Hurray!! Now Mom and Dad can sleep in peace again and maybe I won't be in Purgatory any more!

Thus ends just one of many childhood adventures.

Oh, and I had to let the snake go.

Lump

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

ROFL!!!! so there you go!!!! dark places and bright places!!!! oh... wait... that's just about EVERY WHERE!!!!!!!!
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Never shed

LOL - yeah... I just went through all the drawers and such (every place I could think of) and then stuffed a blanket under the door to keep it closed off. There's large gaps under every door except the front and back doors, so that is good at least.

The place is a mess anyway, so I'll just be extra thorough as I clean it. Then I'll leave out the heating pad and the sun lamp. He'll show up eventually. I just hope he's in good health when he does.

The ribbon snake I had as a kid was always escaping. I was always so upset. Then I would be getting dressed, rifling through my drawers, and find the snake among my under ware. Or one time I found it when I happened to glance down before vacuuming my room and saw it's head sticking out of the vacuum machine the second before I turned it on. Jeez.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

the most snakes I ever lost was when we were moving
    I guess with all the overwhelm, I was just not thorough enough
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Fingers crossed for you!!!
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.