Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tricks?????

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

Question Tricks?????

so... i'm REALLY bad about closing the cages..... but meadow... the adventurous one... no mater where i leave her... always ventures into my room..... even if she's downstairs!!! and every time i reward her with a worm... which is a special treat... is it posible to teach them a trick???? because if it is then she's learned it!!! every time she gets left behind or left in an open cage she always comes back for her worm...????? i've actually fornd her after i left her on the couch once... back waiting on her feeding cage like she is expecting a worm!!!! and then she gets one... the others just tend to hide and wait for me to find them.. but she always returns????? she MUST know!!! if she finds my room she gets a treat!!!!
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"First shed, A Success" SpyrotheGartersnake's Avatar

Talking Re: Tricks?????

wow that does seem a little bit like a trick she must be a really greedy snake! when she hungry she just goes to your room for you to give her a worm!

Re: Tricks?????

yes she does it EVERY time but i leave her out alot.....

i just have her with me ALL day long... i take her on my 2 hr walks with my dog... i have even taken her to my grandmas b4!!! i just pack her a cage with a lamp and she's set to go!!! i even hold her in the car with me!!! she's just so cute i cant leave her behind!!! but i'm with her so much that i get into a habit...and sometimes i forget...
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

i know that this isn't the best way to find out..... but has anyone ever experienced ANYTHING like this????
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

I don't know what to make of it, I try to be as open minded as possible, and have seen things that defy logic. This will be one of them.

This behavior is so rare, consider this pet a blessing. In years of collecting and trying to figure out what makes them tick, only one specimen ever displayed this sort of behavior.

Xena my copper phase Dekay brown DEMANDS handling, she will prance left to right up front of the tank until taken out. Then she will explore all up and down, and usually coil up (She likes hair, but hoodies and shirt pockets are fine.)

When taken outside, no desire to be put down, I think that she has been in captivity so long, that outside seems strange?? but she goes all stressed out if I place her on the ground, grabs tightly around my fingers, resists even being pushed off.

so this observation of yours does have some merit to it, I am not so sure about tricks, but Xena and a few others will stand up and sway at feeding time.

Garters have such varied personalities, that's what makes them so fun to have.

Regards,
    Wayne

she will prance left to right up front of the tank until taken out. Then she will explore all up and down, and usually coil up (She likes hair, but hoodies and shirt pockets are fine.)
    OMG!!!!! this is EXACTLY (to the letter!!!) what she does!!!!! is that weird or what!!!! every day she knows what time i come home i swear!!! she is doing that every day when i walk in my room!!!! but when i come in at night she knows that i wont pick her up because i'm going to sleep!!!!!!

only i've only had her 4 2 yrs and she loves to go out and hunt!!!
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Yes they do, and Xena knows when a storm is coming, if it is raining out and roughly what time it is.

when we lived 12 miles from here there were train tracks out back, that girl knew a train was coming a long time before we did. she could feel the vibrations in the ground long before us humans. and would essentialy go psyco whenever a train passed, probably seemed like an earthquake to such a small critter.

Since they feed after a rain, whenever it is going to rain, she becomes restless, I think they can sense barometric pressures.

Even on nights when I forget to turn off the lights, the go to sleep at about the same time.

Regards,
    Wayne

oh so that's why she does that?????!!!!!! that makes sense!!!!!

but i can't forget my lights!!!! they're on a timer and i sleep in there!!!

i love them!!!! they are just so lovable!!!!!!
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

My girl Fatty has been with me since she was born, and I think she's learned to mooch body heat off of me; She's one of the only snakes I've ever had who I can trust to stay put when I set her down. She eats out of my hands when we're traveling too, which is a big plus. :P I think that once the garters and other snakes begin to associate you with food, they then begin to think of you as enrichment as well.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

she comes with me even if i'm going away for 2 or three days!!!! i used to bring the little one too.. but he's started to not like people???? idk so now i think i may bring either all of them or just her...
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat