Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    In Hog Heaven

My Heart Beat Theory

I'll admit I'm nuts. But I really think this has merit. (I tend to have deep thoughts and do a lot of exenstential thinking...) Let me know your thoughts, particularly if you've noticed/experienced this.

We all know precious baby garters are born live. Unlike other snakes where the chicken-like deal occurs: fertilization, protecting covering, pushed out.

Okay, so for the entire development of those DARLING wee garters (Don'tcha just LOVE'UM!!!!) they're riding around in Mom and hearing her heart beat. For like, what? 45-60 days? Give or take?

I, personally, believe - based on my xperience - this (hearing Mom's heat beat for two months) has an impact on garters. Here's why:

I tend to sit with Winnie cupped in my hands, with my hands resting on my chest just almost smack-dab between my breasts. My hands being right in/close to/near the human heart area. It's just a comfort thing. Try it. You don't even need to support your elbows to be comfy. Well... I *do* have a poochy-outtie belly I'm able to rest my hands on...

Winnie, being WC, is a missy ants-in-her-pants when held. She doesn't Poo any longer, but she is a typical garter and does take time before she settles down.

I've found that when I hold her as I've explained above she will zonk out and go to sleep far quicker than if I just hold her in one hand, cupped and she's curled around my fingers. I mean, there's a HUGE difference in time. And she'll sleep like the dead. ZZZZZzzzzzzzz Yup.

Has anyone else noticed this?

If not, would you give it a try and see if you get the same results? And then post your results? *I* really think I'm on to something. But for all I know I really am certifiable, or this was documented a long time ago and I'm just experiencing a normalcy.

THANKS!!!

Re: My Heart Beat Theory

Haven't tried your method, but I do get great results by cuping my hands together and giving them a dark, warm place to hide. After just a couple og minutes I can open my hands and they are calm.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

In Hog Heaven

Sid, I don't gotta do the 'dark place' thing. I always hold Winne with her head out between two of my fingers - she DOES NOT like to be cupped up where she can't see.

Most of her body's in my cupped hands but her head and a bit of her "neck" are between my fingers. And she goes out like a light. Uh-ha. Yup.

The Naturalist at the park calls me a "charmer." As in "snake charmer." I said, "Just wait until your wife finds out you called me that!" LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garter_Gertie View Post
    Sid, I don't gotta do the 'dark place' thing. I always hold Winne with her head out between two of my fingers - she DOES NOT like to be cupped up where she can't see.

Most of her body's in my cupped hands but her head and a bit of her "neck" are between my fingers. And she goes out like a light. Uh-ha. Yup.

The Naturalist at the park calls me a "charmer." As in "snake charmer." I said, "Just wait until your wife finds out you called me that!" LOL!!!
    OK, you've gotten my intrest. Tomorrow is feeding day and most of mine will be handled. I'll give it a try.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

In Hog Heaven

Cool. I'm anxious to hear what happens. I'm really interested in this 'theory.' To me it's as clear as a bell and makes perfect sense.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

i do that all the time!!!!! but they meaning my largest female is always around my neck... she's a little over 30 in and she sits around my neck or tangled around my hair for as long as 6 hrs.... i've taken her outside, i've done my hw, played on the computer, eaten.... and just about everything besides sleeping with her around my neck.... i sometimes even cross about 20 ft of shallow water and she just hangs out.... i think that she feels secure and warm there and it's by far her fav spot to sit!!!
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

In Hog Heaven

Shanley, I'm a little confused. What do you do all the time? The 'heart thing''? And the rest is more info? Or what?

I LOVED hearing about the sleeping bit!!!!!!!! I've been wracking my brain for a way to 'tame' Winnie/my new babies to come sos I can sleep with them. Wonder how the cats and two Pigglettes [Pugs] would deal with that? But I sleep with all my beebees! I love Winnie/will love my new kids! I want to sleep with them!

On a similiar note, I'm trying to figure out some kind'a 'harness' so I can 'walk' the kids. Let them slither in leaves and scavenge after their own worms. A little harness and leash. I'll be a billionaire once I get it figured out.

Gertie,
    I love your enthusiasm, but here is one very important thing to consider, humans toss, turn and rollover in our sleep. We cannot control this, it's natural and prevents back problems, among others.

Garters are delicate, and considering the way you obviously feel, imagine the devastation of finding out you rolled over on one and killed it.

The snakes will be far better off in an enclosure for the night.

The psychological stress of trying to harness a snake would be detrimental to its well being.

Go buy a $25 collapsible kids pool, and place a few inches of dirt on the bottom, the walls are tall enough to keep them in (Supervised of course) they can have all the sunshine and fresh air you chose to give them, and not be freaking out about a harness strapped to them.

"Taming" is really more about them tolerating our repeat molestations than becoming our friends. They will and do learn their keepers, and realize you are where the food comes from, but we all too frequently try to "humanize" what we think is making them do what they do.

I have studied the psychology of captive reptiles, and psychological health is directly linked to overall physical health.

I'm sure we will chat about this some more, but I'm fading fast....

Goodnight,
    Wayne A. Harvey

Oh and feel free to have a look at our "Zoo" at snakes

Thank you, Wayne.

I've go to agree with Wayne here. It's great to love and enjoy your Garters, but sleeping with them and harnessing them, are both extraordinarily bad ideas I'm afraid.
    James.