Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Third shed, A Success"

Brett's Updates, Pics & Stuff :p

Hey so to start my to Ball Pythons had PERFECT sheds! I bought a fogger which I did a quick review for on youtube. YouTube - Zoo-Med Fogger Review Cheezy video because im cheezy ! I keep my humidity levels around 80% all through the Blue Phase and I never saw them in the water bowl. I assume this is good levels. I am thinking they only go in the bowl if the enclosure is to dry.

Here they are all shinny and new:

My Eastern Milk WC is eating like a champ:

And my two Ringnecks: (Through the glass pics)

Nothing fantastic just a quick update.

Never shed

Re: Brett's Updates, Pics & Stuff :p

80 is too high for any extended time for ball pythons, they are very susceptible to Upper respitory infection and that is how i lost previous balls when I was younger. I had perfect sheds with my big female for the last 3 years by just letting her soak when she felt it necessary. Unfortunately she died during my move. They like humidity to be fairly low, they are savannah animals that only find humidity in underground burrows and usually only go down to shed or feed...

"Third shed, A Success"

I only keep it at 80 for three days or so during blue, 50-60 all other times...

You think 80 is to high for pre-shed?

Seems everyone has a different opinion on these guys..

Thanks for advise.

Never shed

it depends on the humidity the rest of the time. if it is bright down low enough the rest of the time it could be ok, just keep an ear out for funny breathing noises...

"Third shed, A Success" jeanette's Avatar
    i live in the uk near the city of sheffield

your balls are looking great oops i just realised how that sounded so ummmm , moving swiftly on.................its great to see your getting your pythons outside they really do enjoy it. The milk snake is looking very happy in his new home, is he settling down now?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dashnu View Post
    I only keep it at 80 for three days or so during blue, 50-60 all other times...

You think 80 is to high for pre-shed?

Seems everyone has a different opinion on these guys..

Thanks for advise.
    I am no expert, and dont own a humidity gauge, but I think high humidity for 3 days before a shed is a good thing.
    My ball python just had a perfect shed too. I stretched it out on a board to dry. Funny thing is, it was rolled up all tight in a little ring, and I just unrolled it, just like one of the latex things for adults
    Pretty cool.

"Third shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by jeanette View Post
    your balls are looking great oops i just realised how that sounded so ummmm , moving swiftly on.................its great to see your getting your pythons outside they really do enjoy it. The milk snake is looking very happy in his new home, is he settling down now?
    Haha, Yea they seem to enjoy the hot days we have been having. The milk is still not being handled maybe next week I will try to handle him a bit.. But no! he is not settling down a bit He is grumpy still thats one of the reasons I like him so much I think

"Third shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I am no expert, and dont own a humidity gauge, but I think high humidity for 3 days before a shed is a good thing.
    My ball python just had a perfect shed too. I stretched it out on a board to dry. Funny thing is, it was rolled up all tight in a little ring, and I just unrolled it, just like one of the latex things for adults
    Pretty cool.
    I agree Both the sheds were exatcly the same way you described. There are just to many different viewpoints on Ball Pythons what one to take is the question.

On that note the side with the fogger has a hide that the fog rolls right into super humid in there! And both were in there on the humid side of the tank for most of the three days. So yea I think they enjoyed it. Maybe they would rather do that then sit in a bowl of water who knows...

"Third shed, A Success" jeanette's Avatar
    i live in the uk near the city of sheffield

Quote Originally Posted by dashnu View Post
    I agree Both the sheds were exatcly the same way you described. There are just to many different viewpoints on Ball Pythons what one to take is the question.

On that note the side with the fogger has a hide that the fog rolls right into super humid in there! And both were in there on the humid side of the tank for most of the three days. So yea I think they enjoyed it. Maybe they would rather do that then sit in a bowl of water who knows...
    yeah that is one of the problems that constrictor keepers seem to have.
    the thing is there is no solid rule, the lines do waver from snake to snake.
    Ball pythons do come from a dryer climate than Boas so it stands to reason that they dont want the humidity to be as high, but if its just for a space of a few days for a shed it wont do any harm.
    Ive found Respiratory Infections to be more common with not enough humidity, or too much humidity without any ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanette View Post
    Ive found Respiratory Infections to be more common with not enough humidity, or too much humidity without any ventilation.
    Adequate ventilation is something that is all too often overlooked, and it can indeed lead to respiratory problems.
    James.