Thread: Heating

Heating

Sorry if this is a revamp of something that's already been talked about, but...........What type of heating devices does everyone use for their garters? I've always used heat lamps (ok, my first garter I used a hot rock....I know, I know...it was back in the early 80's when they were big for herp heating then!...he lived with it for 9.5yrs), and they work well, but I'm looking at setting up a stacking cage setup and using heat lamps isn't going to be really practical. I know Feltzer uses heating pads or tape or something for belly heat only, but I've noticed that wild garters like to actually bask in the sun and that all my garters do the same under their heat lamps. My kingsnakes will actually hide under something that's under a light rather than sit directly under the light....so I imagine the garters aren't just there because it's warmer. Let me know your thoughts and experiances.

Thanx.......Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

Re: Heating

I use lamps, as I'm using wood terrariums. The heat pads won't work properly through wood.

I've noticed something in between. I have a hide directly under the lamp, and they spend most of the time (when they are basking, that is) in the hide, but they will often also bask outside it. The temperature difference inside the hide and on top of it, is about 2-3 degrees Celsius.

I used to use a home made lamps made from flower pots, but I found that the clay pots trap a lot of the heat and so the (35-50W) bulbs would break pretty often, every three months or so. I then went out and bought an ordinary reading lamp (60W) and I haven't had to change the bulb in over a year. It's properly ventilated and the metal doesn't insulate that much.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

I use heat mats under one end of the tank,
    The lighting I use is mainly energy efficient flourecent bulbs so doesn't give off much/any heat.

I use lamps (40 or 60W, depending on the height of the enclosure), it does the trick very well for me and I find it enjoyable to watch

I have a rather large hiding spot under the lamp, the snake can go in there or on top of it. And I have 1 hiding spot at the cooles and and another 1 in between.

I have a room just for my Garters. I use a seperate heating and cooling unit for the room and maintain 75 to 78 degrees F. This is the only heat I use and all the "Pets" are doing well, agressive eaters and no problems with their digestion. Very active.

Sid

Quote Originally Posted by GarterGuy View Post
    I've always used heat lamps (ok, my first garter I used a hot rock....I know, I know...it was back in the early 80's when they were big for herp heating then!...he lived with it for 9.5yrs)

Thanx.......Roy
    Hi Roy,
    Please remember I am a noobie, I have a 55 gallon with a 5' tube flouresnt, a "plant/reptile" bulb heat lite, and a heat stone. Please explain to me why the heat stone is bad.
    Thanks, Sue

Quote Originally Posted by suzoo View Post
    Hi Roy,
    Please remember I am a noobie, I have a 55 gallon with a 5' tube flouresnt, a "plant/reptile" bulb heat lite, and a heat stone. Please explain to me why the heat stone is bad.
    Thanks, Sue

The new heat stones that are out there aren't as bad as they used to be, but they're still not the best. Basically what it comes down to, is the fact that you've got a "live" heating element inside the tank with you snakes. I've seen animals burned and electrocuted by "hot rocks" in the past, and I don't recomend them to anyone. What it really comes down to is that I don't like putting heating devices inside my snake cages, especially when the animals come into direct contact with it, just too many things that could go wrong.
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

A heat pad should work as well as a rock, it can cover more area while still being safe for your animals. For my 20 gallon long I use a little chandleir bulb for light, so that heat pad basically heats the 20 gallon by itself without a bulb.
    1.1.1 T.p.orarius Gulf Coast Ribbon
    1.0 T.e.vagrans Wandering Garter

Shine on you crazy diamond

Thanks Guys! I have an under the tank heater. Even though I've never had a problem with the heat stone, why chance it?! I'll remove the heat stone and put the under the tank heater on. Just on one half right?
    Thanks!!!

Yep, just on one half.....you want your snakes to be able to regulate their temps......go to the heat if they need it and get away from it if they don't.
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus