Assistance in law interpretation...

Just wondering if any one else here sees the MI laws as I do:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Re...s_164917_7.pdf
    I can take up to 6 garters from the wild, and these are counted as my possession. Garters that are captive born do not count towards my possession limit. I cannot sell wild caught eastern or butler's garters, but I can sell captive bred babies.

Thanks guy! Just don't want to break the law. :P

Re: Assistance in law interpretation...

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Just wondering if any one else here sees the MI laws as I do:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Re...s_164917_7.pdf
    I can take up to 6 garters from the wild, and these are counted as my possession. Garters that are captive born do not count towards my possession limit. I cannot sell wild caught eastern or butler's garters, but I can sell captive bred babies.

Thanks guy! Just don't want to break the law. :P
    I agree with your interpretation. This law is similar to Ohio's, but in Michigan, you are not overburdened with the license and the log book. The log book is the worst part of Ohio's law, IMHO. I would gladly keep track of my wild herps via computer, but no... I must hand write all my records in the badly organized log book. SIGH!
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

You also can't sell any that could be native bred unless you can prove you bought them from out of state. Such as Easterns or Butlers. I know, I checked into it since I live in Michigan. If they were born in Michigan and are a native species it could get sticky to sell them within Michigan even if you could prove that the parents were not from Michigan.

"Second shed, A Success"

I wouldn't be so sure on your interpretation. The fact that CB specimens are not mentioned leads me to believe that the state makes no distinction between WC and CB. The way I read it is that you may possess up to a total of 6 native reptiles (either 1 each of 6 species or 6 of one species or any combination)

Like Tori said. There is no easy way to tell if the snakes you have are CB or WC so states tend to not make a distiction.

I'd check into it a bit more if I were you. I would think that you would not be able to sell any native species regardless of its origin. That is the way it is here in Wisconsin except that it comes right out and says it.