Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Easterns that I have met

It has been about a year since I found this site and this has been a wonderfully fun and informative, so I was just thinking about some of the things that I have learned over the last 12 months. Just as a disclaimer, you have to remember that I probably don’t know what I am talking about, but that never stopped me before, so here goes. I remember first looking through this site and seeing all of the beautiful snakes that people had, red sided, San Francisco’s, checkered etc, and all I ever saw were plane old easterns Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (they don’t call them “common” garters for nothing). I have since changed my mind. I have seen a bunch of snakes this past year, and I don’t think that I have seen two that were alike, and the color variations were really incredible. I grouped “my” snakes into three descriptive catagories: (1) “normal” eastern (distinctive unbroken dorsal stripe, large distinct spots), (2) “combo” easterns (dorsal stripe completely broken by spots), and (3) “maybe” maritime garters (no or very faint stripe, smaller spots merging together to almost form stripes across the back). Below are some photos to show what I am talking about.

Eastern: this is my Big gravid eastern from last summer, she is a classic eastern, showing the distinctive dorsal stripe and spots, below her is a beautiful darker classic eastern that I found out by the pool.

Combo: This little snake shows classic eastern stripe, but the stripe is broken by spots.

Maybe: These are really nice little snakes. I have found four of these. The first is my blue garter, and the second is a little guy with mahogany colored spots and no stripe (below). The third is Chloe, now residing with Rhea the fourth is big green (in this months photo contest). When I saw ASLB’s “golden hypo” I thought, wow that pattern looks a lot like my “Maritimes”. I am now wondering if this may be a recessive genetic trait within the eastern population. The other thing that is interesting about this group is the color variation. Chloe and "big green" were green, the blue was of course blue, the other was brown, and then there was the gold that ASLB found.

Anyway I just thought i would toss this out to start some discussion. Other pix would be great.
    Terry

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

Re: Easterns that I have met

that blue one and green one are maritimes,I think the color variations of the maritime are not genetic but i dont know that for sure, also i think the reason "ASLB"'s eastern looked like a maritime because its hypo-ness accentuated the spots that the maritimes have, also if you can find me an extreme pair (or pairs) of either blues or greens ill pay good money for them, i would really like to get them so if you think you can get them please contact me.
    thanks,
    Reed
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

Very interesting thread start, like always Terry. I don't have the expertise on this field, since I don't even have an eastern, nor a maritime and as such I've never investigated on it. But I'll be monitoring the thread
    Greetz, Hans

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
    -The Shawshank Redemption-
    www.kousebandslangen.nl

great photos, Terry
    I have seen a lot of variation in Easterns - particularly here
    Sammy, my old-time favourite, looks different again
    she's almost black, with pale yellow dorsal stripe
    her pattern is not really visible
    but she does have those little red spots on the side
    I'll have to get a good shot of her outside when it gets nicer
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

great pics and wounderful thread start, I'll be keeping an eye out also.....
    Justin

Great thread Terry. I totally agree though....with all the really fancy and pretty garters out there, our common old Easterns are still at the top of my lists. I love going out and photographing them and all the different colour varieties that they come in.....even with in the same population. The snakes in your area probably do demonstrate an area where two subspecies cross over. I'm sure there's integration between the Easterns (T.s.sirtalis) and the Maritimes (T.s.palidullus) there. There's even been some argument whether Maritimes are a valids subspecies or not, or whether they're just a variety of eastern.....kind of like how the Florida easterns are so different. I hope their subspecies designation doesn't change, I can't keep and breed Easterns here, they're a native species. I look forward to seeing this years crop of pics from you, and I'm glad that you were able to find the forum here and be able to share your little guys with us.
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

I have a variety of easterns too!! I love the variety...and still have a long list of varieties to add!!! here's a couple pics of mine.

male with orange, possible het melanistic

female from N Carolina

female silver eastern

orange female

here's a couple more...

florida blue female

and my favorite......melanistic female!

Just a few more pix to show what I am talking about:

This is Chloe and the big eastern just after it gave birth to 43 babies (now living around Ithaca NY) showing the distinctively different markings.

This is Chloe just after a shed, showing her lovely green color.

Believe it or not the same little girl the day I found her, probably getting ready for her first post-burmination shed. No hint of what is under that old skin.

Last is the big green maritime (Chloe's mom?). If she shows up again this spring I might just keep her for a while. I can’t help myself!

Terry

This thread rocks!! That N Carilina garter is amazing I've never seen that coloration in easterns before. I have a big green garter. I'll be posting pics soon.