Thread: Emergency!!!

Emergency!!!

I noticed my corn's vent was a bit swollen earlier, and then tonight I checked on her and she looked like she was ready to burst. So I got out a tub of warm water and gave her a massage, and out popped one of those urital crystal things. I felt again and I found another bump, which I worked with and turned out to be poo. But I need help with what caused it and what to do for the snake now!

Re: Emergency!!!

I don't know what causes these and I wonder whether damp hides help prevent this sort of thing
    at this point, if this was my snake, I'd just do daily warm soaks for a few days, and meanwhile, keep the vent clean (I'm assuming there's abrasions)
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

The vet coudn't tell me what to do to prevent these either... I'm just watching Miriam and hoping one does not form again... I see her drinking more often now, I think in her case she was dehydrated from her illness. I was giving her a warm swim once a week but have not done that this week. Hopefully your corn will not have another. Make sure she is not dehydrated for any reason...
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

Well, the snake expert at the local show says it's just some of the excrements that collect there, like a bladder stone. He said there's nothing you can do about it, just check and remove it when you notice it.

"Third shed, A Success" tikichick's Avatar

I'm glad you found it. Staying hydrated seems like the best prevention with a water bowl and warm baths. After you feed her, if she doesn't poop on schedule, I'd give her a bath each day or so until she does.
    "Mai kolohe i ka mo' o o lele ka pali" -
    Do not bother lizards or you'll fall off a cliff.