Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

a very "special" checkered garter....

I thought that you would all like to take a look at this little fellow. He was born late in the year in 2007, with only one other brother and a sister. That's right, a full grown checkered albino gives birth to just THREE. Why? I am pretty sure she was in bad hands before I brought her and her mate home in late august. She had a respiratory infection and I can tell by the shape of her nose that she had mouth rot at some time in her life.

Well we fought the sickness, that's behind us, she is now in brumation, but her babies are well.... weird. Obviously i was VERY surprised to see babies in the tank one day. Also a lot of infertile slugs, I suspect poor husbandry is to blame. One of the babies passed away early on. The other two are growing like WEEDS.

When you see the pictures below, don't freak out. He's not dead. Weetod, as I have come to call him, is very different from other garter snakes. See, he likes to spend half of his time Upside-down. From what I can tell, this is some kind of balance issue that he was born with. Half the time I will walk into the room and he will be laying there with his cagemates. snuggled up, except he's belly up! Is that unreal or what?!?! When he is right side up, as he crawls, he sometimes turns his head almost as if he is tempted to turn upside down once more... and i mean he does a lot of things upside down! drinks, eats, sleeps, and he slithers around his tank that way too! but like I said, he is only upside down half the time. His sister Upsy-Daisy shows signs of this too, only she never turns upside down, she just twitches a bit on occasion.

Has anyone else ever seen this kind of thing? My conclusion is that since mom was very ill whle carrying babies, she lost most of the clutch and the babies have a bit of a birth defect of some sort. I of course, will never breed or sell these two. But he has become a favorite of mine! here are some pics. He's 4 months old and growing FAST!

Subadult snake

Re: a very "special" checkered garter....

There is a hereditary disease in corn snakes that has the affected babies acting very weird but usually only when excited - around feeding time or when they fear a predator. These snakes are called "stargazers". It seems to be passed on as a simple recessive gene.

For more info check this out: The Stargazer Project... - The Source

Discussion...Our Sunkissed Genes (Stargazer/Sfactor gene) - The Source

It seems what your snake is doing is similar but more extreme. There may be other diseases that do this but I can not remember what they might be.

Joanna

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

aww its cute
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

I'm probably wrong, but doesn't "stargazing" refer to one of the symptoms of the neurological disorder caused by thiamine deficiency? In garters, I mean.

I think she's trying to be a hognose
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"First shed, A Success" mycolorfulheart's Avatar

i have heard of a garter with thiamine deficiency stargazing; in that case it would lie upside down in its water bowl.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reed_Kamsler View Post
    aww its cute
    I 'm with Reed
    Heck, I would like one if it's life is not too effected

I will assure you that these guys are NOT deprived of thiamine! they have been this way since birth, and they are constantly pumped with vitamins and i specifically buy the one with the highest thiamine content. I do not feed gold fish or F/t fish, just rosy reds and pinky parts. As well as your occasional worm lol! Mom herself never did anything like this nor ever showed signs of a thiamine problem. Trust me, I have seen the havoc thiamine deficiency wreaks on a garter snake. I tried to save someone else's pet but it was too late...

he's living a perfectly normal baby garter life, loves to be handled, he's just doin' it with a different style. Kinda reminds me of Happy feet! lol!

whatever the cause, I love my little Weetod anyways

Well I'm glad to see that such a snake is being cared for by such a responsible and loving owner. I always worry when I hear of stuff like this, "What kind of quality of life is the snake having?...Are they going to try and breed it?...Will the animal just become a 'side show' of sorts?"...but in this case, I don't think I have anything to worry about. It's a shame that your female does carry the recesive gene, not surprised since she is albino (often other recesives can go along with albinism). If anything, I'd worry about her possibly produce more snakes with this disorder, might be best to not breed her or breed her to another male, to try and avoid producing more snakes with the disorder. In any case, it's good to see "he's" being well cared for and loved...I hope that little Weetod is able to live a long and healthy life.
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus