Hi, I'm New Here!

Exclamation New baby garters

Hiyo. Just a little background- i came home from work the other night and my mom had gotten me two baby garter snakes from a friend who’s snake had 12. I have two corn snakes and so I know nothing about garters except the fact that they feel rougher than a corn.

That night I went out and bought a little tank and filled it with aspen substrate and a tiny water dish with egg carton hides. The two of them get along very nicely and don’t mind being held in the slightest. They’re about 2 weeks old.

Ive being doing some research on garter snakes and they’re environment and feeding habits. Today I went and bought a few feeder fish and was looking around for some worms, but couldn’t find the right ones. When I offered the fish, one got right in and got to work stunning the fish, beginning his process of eating it. The other wasnt interested at all in the fish.

The one who took the fish ate it about half way, stopped, and rolled around until the fish was out of his mouth. I figured it may have been too big at that point, even though it was the smallest I could find and he was very eager.

Did I maybe do something wrong? Was it the wrong food completely? What is best for them this early in life? Im worried about them not eating when they’re this young.

Re: New baby garters

Do you know what garter snake you have? Earthworms and night crawler pieces are very good for neonates. If these are local garters tell us where you are at and we'll help you idea them. Photos would be great also.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

My mom’s friend found the two adults down by the river. I think they live in northern Utah as well, but I can be sure. Let me know if you need a better pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, I'm New Here!

The family we got them from had caught the two adults by a river. We live in northern Utah. I have no idea what kind they are. But I’ve seen the same ones all over our area.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Here’s a pic I have
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very hard to see and I.D. but my guess is Thamnophis elegans (Western Terrestrial Garter Snake) More lighting is needed. Thanks for posting what you did.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, but what should I be feeding them? I tried offering them night crawlers tonight, which I cut into smaller pieces, but neither seemed interested. They haven’t eaten at all since I got them. I’ve almost had them for a week.

Try hiding some food (worm pieces, fish) under their hide in a small lid. Still, no time to panic as neonates can take a while to start eating. I'll post a link to a feeding strategy you might try. Be sure they have access to a good water dish. Hydration is very important for these young ones.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!