Never shed

anerythristic radix ; melanistic ; black ; evolution.

This one for the evolutionary philosophers. Why aren't there more naturally occurring black Garters, especially in northern latitudes?

Anyone who has held his/her hands on the hood of a black car and the hood of a white car simultaneously on a sunshiny Summer day (remember those?) knows well how much more effective the black color is vs the white color when it comes to holding heat. So, then, therefore, why but why are there not more black Garters in the wild North? Heat is vital to reptiles' survival. We see so many common Garters flattened dead on the asphalt, especially ~2hrs before/after sunset. They were not just crossing the road, they were drawn to its heat, comforted so much by it that they were not aware of oncoming vehicles.

Can it simply be chalked up to solid colors being less effective at camouflage vs mottled colors and so from an evolutionary perspective the blacks wound up as prey more often?

I have seen hundreds of of Black Rat Snakes in the woods while hunting, fishing, and trapping during the last 40 years, but never a single black Garter. Why do Black Rat Snakes not have a problem with camouflage?

Re: anerythristic radix ; melanistic ; black ; evolution.

My guess would be that the Rat snakes(Pantherophis obsoletus) have found an evolutionary notch for that color with regards to their size, prey, predators, and behaviors. I've notice northern garters T. radix and T. s. parietalis are overall darker than the southern of the species. What we have may just be what nature has decided what is best for those species. Smaller black snakes may lead to a much higher mortality rate than the larger snakes. Just my 2 cents on the question.
    Last edited by guidofatherof5; 03-21-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

Re: anerythristic radix ; melanistic ; black ; evolution.

most northern species are darker. look at florida garters they are blue and go up a lil they are red then into canada they have red bellies with black top and in michigan/canda there are melanistics