Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Making a west coast trip.

Hey all, mostly a lurker here but I'm heading to west coast with the new lady and wanted to share some field herping with her. I only own ball pythons these days but she has really taken to the reptile lifestyle and loves the idea of flipping stuff for field looks at pretty snakes.

Would love some ideas on where to look for some really nice California Red sided as we have about 2 weeks to travel and may head up to Washington with a stop in Oregon for other pretty morphs. Would love to see some Puget Sound blues too.

It's a big trip and I'm not local obviously to know where I'd be successful.

Any help appreciated.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Making a west coast trip.

Welcome Hy, the Marin county and the Humboldt county areas in beautiful California ( actually Northern California) are just a few of the main locales where you would be assured to run into the Calif.red sided garter. You will have to be careful not to mistakenly collect the San Francisco garter bc they are federally protected. Be careful bc inspectors and Parks officers will be watching. It might help to snatch up a hunting license ahead of time. The blue Pugets are also protected but a hunting license will help you there also. i think the applicaion fee is a 50.00 charge, well worth it. The area in Washington State is Pierce county where the Pugets abound.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for the great advice. I have field hunted since I was a kid. Didn't even think about a license. Being an adult sucks. I'll try to figure that stuff out.

Hi, I'm New Here!

You can't collect any garters in the state of Washington. So you can look for them but can't remove them from the area. And there is no license or application to be able to collect them either.

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by SheffieldReptiles View Post
    You can't collect any garters in the state of Washington. So you can look for them but can't remove them from the area. And there is no license or application to be able to collect them either.

Hunter
    I just spoke to a resident of Washington State recently and they relayed the information about the hunting license and being able to field collect specimens. However there is a limit to how many individuals you can obtain. Unless I misunderstood him. As a matter of fact he is a garter snake breeder.

I do believe Hunter is correct. Been that way for a few years now. I'll give WA DNR a call later this morning and get it straight from them to clarify the situation.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Okay, cool. Pugets are protected at the state level so it's not a federally protected species. I believe they can be collected for research purposes and educational venues as long as you have a valid hunting license. Like I said , this is what I understood but I could certainly stand corrected.

Thanks Steve!

About an hour ago I spoke to Jim Coffin of the Washington Fish and Wildlife Program. Special permits are required for collection(scientific collection) of any native species (not given out too often and not to the general public). He sited Code WAC 232-12-064 Hope this helps.

Scientific Collection Permits | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=232-12-064

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thanks again. Very helpful. So , it's a permit and not a hunting license that's required. Belonging to a herpetological society which are usually affiliated with colleges and universities might suffice as a scientific collection. Especially the ones with herpetological or veterinary programs. Possibly?