Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Never shed

Hello!

Hey, Ive been lurking around for a few days and thought I should introduce myself if Im gonna get into the garter community. Ive never kept garters before but I just got a trio of baby albino checkereds from Albert Clark which will be my first venture into garter snakes. Ive been keeping reptiles ever since I was little and my mom was in a turtle & tortoise rescue, going to reptile shows all the time, and Ive gotten to work with endangered species but for some reason never considered owning a garter snake. I thought they were shy & bad pets, but they are quickly proving me wrong! Im excited to be in a new community with friendly people.

Re: Hello!

Great to have you with us. Thamnophis is the best kept secret on the snake hobby.
    I'll link the care sheet for you. Please ask all the questions you might have. We also would love to see some photos.

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed In Progress"

Welcome to the site and the world of garters, hope they do well for you. Feel free to ask any questions and if you want join the group "Thamnophis" on facebook as well

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Hey paper! Welcome to the club. Glad to see you made it to the forum! How's the trio doing? Especially our little girls tail? So nice to have you here.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Garters are quite the opposite of shy, in fact they're the most personable and curious snakes I've yet to see.
    Garters were my first snakes, welcome aboard

Never shed

female w/the hurt tail, Id like to get a better pick of her tail but Im worried about handling her so soon. I treated her with betadine today. Second picture is both the females, the tub in the background had the male in it while I was feeding him

Im keeping them in small cages until theyve had a few meals and fully adjusted. I tried putting them in the terrarium I made for them but I misjudged exactly how tiny theyd be! The terrarium is a bit too overwhelming for them right now I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They look great and thanks. Yeah, I wouldn't disturb the female with the tail injury bc that will just stress her unnecessarily. I can tell that seems to be irritated and must be painful. As long as she is feeding, is a good sign. Monitor it closely for any swelling or signs that it isn't healing well. If you can get a closeup of it while she remains in the enclosure will help. However I wouldn't move her around any more than is necessary. Keep her on the paper towels too so you can monitor the healing easily and reduce the possibility of infection.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 05-05-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paperfeathers View Post
    female w/the hurt tail, Id like to get a better pick of her tail but Im worried about handling her so soon. I treated her with betadine today. Second picture is both the females, the tub in the background had the male in it while I was feeding him

Im keeping them in small cages until theyve had a few meals and fully adjusted. I tried putting them in the terrarium I made for them but I misjudged exactly how tiny theyd be! The terrarium is a bit too overwhelming for them right now I guess.

Are you sure it's not a bit to overwhelming for you
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed In Progress"

Huge terrariums with baby garters are definitely stressful for me. Seems like every five days id have not seen a baby for a few days so I panic and think it escaped and dig up the whole thing lol.

I moved them from the group bucket to individual plastic bowls with lids. It is much easier to monitor feedings and it seems to give them more of a sense of security. Some of the bigger ones I pair up in the bowls.