Thread: Help

Hi, I'm New Here!

Help

Hi,

I'm unsure what is wrong with my little male garter. He is housed in a 40 breeder with 1 other male. Both are babies. He has always been a little more shy so I have let him be to reduce stress. He usually eats well. Currently eating silverside fish. I noticed the other day his scales on one side are kind of sticking up. And he is a little stiff. Could he be dehydrated? They have a big bowl of water all the time but the lip of the bowl was kinda high. Or maybe a retained shed? I have had garters for 7 years and never seen this. Thank you for any advise. Sorry for the poor picture. I can take more tomorrow. image.jpg

Re: Help

Sounds like retained shed. Get it in a warm shed box ASAP. Looking at the photo it doesn't look like most retained sheds I've seen but a shed but is a safe place to start figuring things out.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Subadult snake

It almost looks like severe emaciation; sort of like how a big gravid female looks after she's emptied her litter, or a sick snake that regurgitated everything and is super dehydrated. Can't tell over the net, but I"d be concerned. Steve's above suggestion is a good one, and I"d perhaps bathe in luke warm, shallow water. If the animal is to sick or stressed, or otherwise can't/won't use the water dish then it's as good as not being there.
    Separate this animal, with non-particulate bedding (paper towel is fine). Monitor closely for stool/diarrhea, vomit/regurgitation etc. I would take to the vet.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Yeah, that looks worrisome. Steve and Joey's suggestions are definitely a good place to start... I have seen just about that exact look before on some ftt babies I had shortly before they died. It was usually the outward sign that one of their organ systems was shutting down.

I hope this is just a retained shed or dehydration though.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Agreed that it appears to be a severe emaciation / dehydration condition. Is the garter still feeding? When was the last meal? Definitely consider a vet. In the meantime the warm soaks and moist hide is a way to begin the rehydration process. Use this reference as help also Anapsid starvation/ emaciation protocol. It is one of many of Melissa Kaplans series on reptile health. Good luck and keep us updated. P.s. Make sure you don't have a mite infestation also. They hide underneath snake scales and appear as tiny black moving specks on the snake and in the enclosure.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"Preparing For Third shed" Rushthezeppelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    Yeah, that looks worrisome. Steve and Joey's suggestions are definitely a good place to start... I have seen just about that exact look before on some ftt babies I had shortly before they died. It was usually the outward sign that one of their organ systems was shutting down.

I hope this is just a retained shed or dehydration though.
    Agreed, it reminds me of what Betty looked like before she passed (although she was much smaller so hard to tell). Best you can do is try to keep the little one hydrated as best as possible. Might not be a bad idea to mix a tad bit of pedialyte too into the bath so he can get some electrolytes as well. Try and get us a better picture though so we can try and better determine if it's a stuck shed or not.