Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Exclamation Thiaminase problem or .....?

I heard a strange noise in the box with snakes, a snake was convulsively twitching like a earthworm. I put it into a separate box, other snake was ok. 3 days before that I fed them, and everything was ok
    The patient had convulsions about once every 1-5 hours.
    The vet told me by phone that it is or intoxication or "a parasite" and if others my snakes are feel good (I have 4 garter snakes),then it is "a parasite". And he couldn't help....
    Other dude told that it seem like "Thiaminase Problems".
    Last 6-12 months I fed them "safe fish"(Tilapia), but recent 4-5 time it could be "unsafe fish". (Also I always added a little REPTIVITE with D3).

On his advice, I started doing injections of thiamine(vitamin B1). Periodicity - day and 5% solution of thiamine about 5 mg/kg weight of snake.
    The convulsions were finished after first injection. Snake began to shows tongue and became more lively....
    I have done 3 injections, but snake did not feel better...

I noticed "something strange" near a head of snake...
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/lth4rurzx...j83qKXQwpNhSZa

A short video, but he could be more active
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/2asorvsoe...-5J_bzNLVO-kUa

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Thiaminase problem or .....?

Beautiful snake btw! So, before all of these signs and symptoms of illness in the snake you say you were feeding "safe fish" tilapia. Only recently could the fish you were feeding be "unsafe" fish"? Exactly what was the type of fish? The vets think it's a possible thiaminase intoxication or a parasitic infection? If the thiamine injections didn't help out why don't you call the vet and let him know. The swelling in the head region looks like it could be a abcess of some type. The video makes the support of a possible neurological condition of the snake. Certainly could be thiamine deficiency. Can you go back to the vet with the snake? Was this a wild caught garter? Did you feed anything besides fish? Well, sorry for what you are going thru and I hope the garter can make a full recovery. Nice to have you here on the forum.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

thx for fast reply, but moderators a long time were checking my post, snake died
    "unsafe fish" is Pangasianodon. The thiamine injections helped at first... It is difficult to find a reptile vet in my region. Only for cats\dogs and etc..). Snake was born in captivity. I fed them only fishes.
    I think it's bad Reptivite D3. I got Eublepharis macularius gecko from egg. I fed him reptivite D3 and I noticed that he has "rickets".

Hm, I have left some posts when joined, it was wiped I think

Sorry to hear your snake passed.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

So sorry for your loss. I know that's a hard pill to swallow. Thiamine deficiency is usually hard to witness and may be mistaken for other things. It can be treated and reversed if caught and diagnosed early. Don't be too hard on yourself bc you did the best you could under the circumstances.

Thiaminase is a real issue but fish in general is a risk from pollution and even the processing they go through. Many of the chemicals used are dangerous but not to humans because of the our size. With that being said these little snakes can't handle these chemical in the percentage they are receiving. Just a thought.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Steve, do you think fresh fish is a better option to packaged frozen fish? Fish market over supermarket?

"Preparing For Third shed" Rushthezeppelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Thiaminase is a real issue but fish in general is a risk from pollution and even the processing they go through. Many of the chemicals used are dangerous but not to humans because of the our size. With that being said these little snakes can't handle these chemical in the percentage they are receiving. Just a thought.
    Going off on a bit of a tangent here but actually it's not so much our size that makes us so resistant to all the chemicals we put everywhere. It's actually that we have (afaik) a unique ability in the animal world to sequester toxins (from chemicals to heavy metals) in our fat cells very quickly.

Depends on where you live. I live in the middle of the country, I doubt anything I buy is fresh. Prepackaged means processed to some degree. The country of origin is another thing to watch. I don't buy any fish from China.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"Preparing For Third shed" Rushthezeppelin's Avatar

Well tilapia can be grown closer to you. Hell you can grow your own tilapia in a aquaculture setup. Great way to get good fresh fish and fresh veggies. I want to do that kind of setup but something tells me my apartments would be none to keen on it ^_^ I might set one up at a friends house at some point though.