Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Juvenile snake

Experience with provent-a-mite

Now that I have calmed a bit I feel it is worth documenting my experience for future members. Also there is some updates dealing with the manufacturer. Anyway due to being sent a wild caught garter when I ordered a captive bred snake, there was evidence of mites in my home. On the urging of others I used provent-a-mite as a preventive measure. One of the snakes that's enclosure was treated was a young(less than six months old) California red sided garter snake.

I was very careful about this enclosure due to his age. I look everything out of the cage, put the enclosure outdoors, and sprayed the enclosure and aspen substrate lightly. I then left the enclosure outside in the hot Colorado sun for an hour and half to two hours just to be sure it was properly dried. Then I inspected the substrate just to double check the dryness. After I was satisfied I replaced the snake and all the clean décor.

The next night I walked into my office to find my snake out much later than usual. I was surprised at this and inspected closer to see that he was failing around, lifting his head, and opening his mouth. Again on the urge of others I removed him from the cage and washed his skin off to remove as much of the chemicals as possible. I then put him in an entirely different enclosure with untreated substrate.

The next morning I awoke to find the poor little guy dead. As you can imagine I was very upset. After doing a bit more research I found that more than one experienced owner had had this same issue at some point with young garters. I decided to email the manufacturer of provent-a-mite to maybe get them to acknowledge this issue and maybe get some of my lost money back.

First they asked me to recount how I applied the product so they could tell me what I did wrong. This was a little frustrating as they were already trying to pass blame on to me with no information. I responded with a similar but more detailed description as above. Finding no issue with my methods they then tried to come up with situations that were no where near what I had done to explain that I had killed my pet.

I am sure some people have misused this product before at the detriment of their pets, but I can assure that is not the case here. I worked in a chemistry laboratory for six years and handled chemicals far more noxious than provent-a-mite, so I understand how important following directions can be. I followed their vague directions as well as anyone could and still ended up with a dead snake.

I will never use this product ever again and would recommend that no one use it on young garters. The reply of the company shows how little they care about the consumers and I would recommend you stay away from any of their products.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

Re: Experience with provent-a-mite

ive been using it as a preventive once a month with full bedding changes for about a year and still use it. i have successfully used it with plenty of babies. this to me seems like a rare situation where a single animal was effected. i currently have 62 garters living on dry provent-a-mite with no isssues. in the spring that number grows to well over 100 at any given time. im just sharing my experience with this product cause imo if used properly it does its job.
    i remove all garters and water bowls from the room and i do a one second spray on all my enclosures and let dry with windows open for an hour. sorry to hear about your bad experience and it sounds like you did a more thorough job than i did

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Like I said in an earlier post... It's kind of like vaccines. There's a very small chance that something will go wrong even if you do everything correctly, but it generally helps rather than hurts (coming from someone who was almost killed by routine vaccines but still recommends them). It seems like you did everything right, but just got very unlucky.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Juvenile snake

I think that if I would have known that there were any risk of an outcome this brutal l I would not have risked it. That is the point of this thread to at least give others an real world account of what could happen. I understand what you are saying about vaccines, but I don't think it fits in this situation. While mites are aggressive they are by no means certain death to the snake and especially not thousands. I would be curious to know the amount of captive snakes that die from mites versus provent-a-mite, but I am sure the company does its best not to release this info.

You can say what you want because of this experience but the success of and the use of this product have save countless collections of reptiles. I too have lost snakes using the product but feel it is the best product on the market and the most effective.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Juvenile snake

Guido my concern is not that it doesn't kill mites and it may be safe for larger snakes, but can you say that on no uncertain terms that it is safe for young garter snakes? I just feel like after the fact I find my situation has happened to more than just me, then maybe people should know about it. I don't want to start an argument I just want to share my experience, especially after the treatment I received from what is supposed to be a company solely concerned with reptile health.

I respect your concern and certainly don't want an argument either.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

i told you i use it monthly on babies that range from a day old to 4 months old.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

From what I've seen on this site and others, the product is generally completely safe. With ANY chemical you use on ANY animal, there is going to be the risk of an adverse reaction. Some individuals are just more sensitive than others, and there's no way to tell whether or not they are. In this case, the only animal I've seen it very occasionally cause problems with is very small garters... and even with them it only happens a minute percentage of the time. I think this is down to plain crappy luck.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Juvenile snake

It was certainly unlucky. All in all I think everyone's experience is valid.