Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Got Dekayi Babies? I Do!!

Well, I thought I had two Storeria Dekayi boys.....Until I woke up one morning and had about six more. I was so excited! Then I woke up two days later and had about 15 more. They are the cutest little things. I let most of them go but kept some too. I don't have slugs in my yard but have plenty of night crawlers. I have been feeding them the babies and cutting up bigger ones. I give the moms night crawlers but do a calcium supplement and I am wondering if I should do a vitamin supplement as well. I don't know what else to feed them. It doesn't seem to be a great diet. Any other ideas on what to give them? Here's some pics of the little guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Preparing For Third shed" Rushthezeppelin's Avatar

Re: Got Dekayi Babies? I Do!!

OMG they are so tiny!!!

Very small earthworms and slugs are a good way to get them eating.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed In Progress"

Did they actually eat nightcrawler pieces and how long after they were born did they take them? My dekays gave birth to 16 babies 3 days ago and this afternoon I only managed to have 6 eat of the 16, 5 ate slugs and 1 ate a worm piece but it's the tiny garden worms not nightcrawler which seems too big even cut up.

I catch slugs by putting wooden boards or flat stones in my garden/yard and watering underneath them so they'll stay moist.

Also yes, they sure are born tiny, mine couldn't be more than 3 inches long and thin like spaghetti.

I have been digging up the baby nightcrawlers from my yard. They are the really tiny bright red ones, I assume they are night crawlers because my yard is full of them.I also started buying small night crawlers them from a bait shop.I cut the thinner ones into mouth size pieces. Mine started eating the day after they were born. It's hard to to tell whose eating since they all look alike, but I feed them everyday so if I miss some they can eat. I have two tiny babies that I hunt down to make sure they have some too. I got my first experience with food aggression the other day when two of them were fighting over the same piece of worm. Yikes!!

"Third shed In Progress"

Doesn't sound like the typical Lumbricus terrestris, which is the nightcrawlers I have in my yard, they only come out at night after it rains. I believe this is the species fed in captivity and referred to as the Canadian nightcrawler or dew worm. The ones you are digging up are probably a smaller earthworm species and the same type i've been using with my browns, they live closer to the surface.

Could be, I am definitely not a worm expert. I do know that I found a nightcrawler bigger than my adult Dekayi when I was digging the other day, it was huge. I have been buying baby nightcrawlers from a bait shop and they have been eating these too.

"Third shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by boyer45 View Post
    Could be, I am definitely not a worm expert. I do know that I found a nightcrawler bigger than my adult Dekayi when I was digging the other day, it was huge. I have been buying baby nightcrawlers from a bait shop and they have been eating these too.

Just make sure they are actually nightcrawlers and not red wigglers which can be toxic.

And yes nightcrawlers can live over six years and become monsters, if you go out at night after a thunderstorm you will find massive ones. The largest i found in my backyard was 16 inches, bigger than any dekays I've ever seen.

Most red worms wouldn't be found in the soil. Might just be young night crawlers. The earthworms I mentioned are usually the Rosy-tipped worm - Aporrectodea rosea,

How to identify: the Rosy-tipped worm | OPAL
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Most red worms wouldn't be found in the soil. Might just be young night crawlers. The earthworms I mentioned are usually the Rosy-tipped worm - Aporrectodea rosea,

How to identify: the Rosy-tipped worm | OPAL
    Yup, you don't really have to worry about the worms you dig up in your yard. I was more concerned that the bait shop may be mislabeling red wigglers as young nightcrawlers.