Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed EasternBlackNeckedGarter's Avatar

Blackneck Garter Acting Strange/Freaking Out

Hey everyone, long time no post. Which is good, I guess, seeing as I only post on here when I have problems.
    My Eastern blackneck hasn't been herself lately. She's a long-term captive and I've had her for about five years now, and she'd gotten pretty used to me in that time. Not enough to be handled, but enough to stay out while I was in the room. As of getting back from vacation two weeks ago (we had a petsitter), she's been acting out, agressive, and skittish. I don't know what's going on with her.
    I've been keeping her in a 20 gallon long with a weighted screen top, aspen bedding, and a low wattage heat light that goes off at night.
    She's 38" and normally eats three pinkies a week, but today I decided to give her a medium mouse since she seems to be pretty hungry.
    As I was feeding her today, she started freaking out, slithering around her cage erratically with the mouse hanging from her jaws. Eventually she calmed down and ate it, but as of right now my entire reptile room reeks of musk. I've turned off her heat just in case she's too warm in there.
    Any idea what could be causing this sudden change? She's never done anything quite this dramatic.
    Here's a link to a short portion of her tantrum: https://instagram.com/p/6GbmHzl29P/?...afroherpkeeper
    Thank you!
    Daniel
    16 | Artist | Herpetologist | Photographer | Educator | Purveyor of Reptilian Goods | Austin, TX!
    https://instagram.com/afroherpkeeper/
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/afroherpkeeper/shop

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Re: Blackneck Garter Acting Strange/Freaking Out

First of all, I've got to recommend not feeding anything with hair on it. Their systems just aren't meant to handle it, and members here have lost snakes due to impaction from hair. It's better to stick with feeding more pinkies.

The behavior in the video doesn't seem that weird to me. I've seen all my snakes do it at some point. If they think something might be about to snatch the food from them, they try to carry it off, especially if they're really hungry. That being said, three pinkies a week doesn't sound like a lot for a mature female... That's the minimum that I'd feed to one of my smaller males.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"Third shed In Progress"

Three pinkies per week is perfectly fine for an adult female, pinkies have high fat content. The snakes weight seems healthy to me.

As for the behavior, I didn't see anything I wouldn't consider normal there, I have very tame females that can thrash about for seemingly no reason occasionally, my one adult female once thrashed around with a worm so hard she uprooted a pothos plant and knocked over a tank decoration. They can get very defensive of their food.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

IMO, the actions of the garter were normal in that she was hungrier than usual. Beautiful garter btw! The only way three pinkies is enough for a female adult garter is if the pinkies are rat pinkies. If they are mice pinkies they are not enough unless she is getting smaller prey like fish or nightcrawlers as supplementation. As evidenced by the feeding response she needs more nutrition than 3 pinky mice per week. Remember, garters have a very high metabolic rate and pinky mice are not enough on a weekly basis. She should have hairless hoppers or hairless fuzzy mice.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"Third shed In Progress"

You can see she is healthy and a perfectly fine weight from this video, so the three pinkies must be working as the snake is five years old and a healthy weight.

A friend of mine saw the video and was wondering if that was a rat pup in there? If so, is that a normal food or was this the first time you offered it?

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    A friend of mine saw the video and was wondering if that was a rat pup in there? If so, is that a normal food or was this the first time you offered it?

It's a medium mouse and in the post he specifies he does not normally feed anything with hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdravko092368 View Post
    It's a medium mouse and in the post he specifies he does not normally feed anything with hair.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

My question about the rat pup wasn't with regards to the mouse in the snakes mouth but the one on the stone. It certainly looks like it has less hair then the one in the mouth but yet it's larger. Looks like a small rat pup. Just wondering if there is a new prey item in the enclosure that might have triggered the response. It might also be that the keeper was away for 3 weeks so the snake needs to settle back into the normal routine since there had been a stranger caring for it.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"Third shed In Progress"

I had a feeling you wondered about that, it looks soaking wet but what the snake is eating seems relatively dry to me which is why they look so different but it could be a rat I guess. Also I agree with you that she may have been stressed because of the other person caring for her, not to fault that person but snakes can be picky sometimes.