Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Egg binding

Hi, I'm New Here!

Egg binding

I have a 2011 marcianus who has been in fine health for me up until now. I found two dried up "slugs" in her viv this morning and, thinking she had finished "laying them' took her out to check her over.

There's a distinct lump near her vent and I'm wondering what to do next. I've phoned my emergency vets but there are no reptile folk on call today as its the weekend.

If she doesn't pass the other slug I do have an appointment with an excellent vet on Tuesday that I could use as the animal I was going to take could wait. I'm just wondering if this is an emergency situation in which case I could take her to another vet tomorrow but I know she's only really just started out with exotics.

Is there anything I could do for Cayelyn today? I have avipro and water soluble calcium and multivitamins. I also have baytril on standby for my pet rats. She seems ok in herself and ate 2 pinkies and some smelt on Friday night. I assume the slugs appeared yesterday.

She's not been with a male and I have no male marcianus in the house. I have an infernalis male but I've never put them together.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

Re: Egg binding

i just had a litter where my girl started dropping slugs for 2 days then a still then 2 live all in all took 3 days so i wouldnt worry just yet just let her be and if by tuesday the situation hasnt improved then i would reccomend going to the vet

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

It can take a while to pass slugs, sometimes days like Tommy said. If things are really going south, she will seem to be in obvious distress and likely start rolling in an attempt to pass the remaining slugs (I had this situation a couple years ago that was complicated by other health issues).

I wouldn't feed again until this is over though. If you do need vet intervention, food in the system can complicate that. Just make sure she stays hydrated, and offer water if she doesn't seem to be going for it on her own; I have some snakes that don't mind at all when I offer them water and will start drinking while in my hands, and some that freak out if I do it, so only do it if she's calm about it.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

The other issue with slugs or unborn "in sac" babies is that the mother really should not be disturbed. Her lay box should be adequate with moss and substrate conducive to promote the passage of any live scrubs. A 24 to 48 hour period of extreme quietness and complete lack of disturbances is required. Even if there are retained products of conception this is needed. Inability to pass material can be problematic. There is a warm soak and massage therapy to help stimulate the passage. Only if the product, slug , binding in sac baby is close to the vent. Also its a very gentle massage to avoid any rupture or prolapse of the cloaca. Usually the female will pass the products as long as she is allowed to remain undisturbed for a period of time. A herp vet will have oxytocin that can induce a more steady contraction to aid in the passage.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    There is a warm soak and massage therapy to help stimulate the passage. Only if the product, slug , binding in sac baby is close to the vent. Also its a very gentle massage to avoid any rupture or prolapse of the cloaca.
    I'd want to add that massaging slugs/anything else out should probably be a last resort, and preferably something a vet or breeder who knows what they're doing has shown you how to do. It has it's place for sure, but I'd want to drive the point home that that can do serious damage if someone does it improperly.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Absolutely Lora! actually all the references point to having the vet do it. Thank you for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Absolutely Lora! actually all the references point to having the vet do it. Thank you for pointing that out.
    I figured that's what you meant, just wanted to make that extra clear since it's so easy to read something on the internet and miss/misinterpret something
    Lora

Hi, I'm New Here!

Unfortunately she didn't pass the slugs by the time our appointment came round so I took her in to see the vet yesterday. She had an ultrasound which revealed two stuck slugs so was given an injection of fluids into the area wlong with an injection to stimulate contractions. I was told to bring her back today if she hadn't passed them and sadly she has failed to do so. Given it was Friday night possibly Thursday that she laid the first lot and we're now fully 5 days forward I'm starting to get really worried about her. I hadn't provided a lay box until Saturday as I had no reason to think she was carrying slugs. Her behaviour was (and still is) the same as its always been and she fed well on Friday night.

Hopefully my vet can sort her out.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddletonMouse View Post
    Unfortunately she didn't pass the slugs by the time our appointment came round so I took her in to see the vet yesterday. She had an ultrasound which revealed two stuck slugs so was given an injection of fluids into the area wlong with an injection to stimulate contractions. I was told to bring her back today if she hadn't passed them and sadly she has failed to do so. Given it was Friday night possibly Thursday that she laid the first lot and we're now fully 5 days forward I'm starting to get really worried about her. I hadn't provided a lay box until Saturday as I had no reason to think she was carrying slugs. Her behaviour was (and still is) the same as its always been and she fed well on Friday night.

Hopefully my vet can sort her out.
    Please keep us posted on this situation.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Cool, at least there is progress however slight. Did the vet mention about the warm soaking and massage as a possible therapy he could perform since the slugs haven't passed? Or does he want to try the oxytocin at a higher dose? I got you as far as the lay box is concerned. I totally understand.