Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breeding

"First shed In Progress"

breeding

What is the outcome of breeding a red side that have the gene for anethrystic and blue bred to a golden red side

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: breeding

Well, I think your odds are very high bc you are talking about a animal that is double het for something bred to another animal who is het. IDK how the dominant gene would play out here. I believe anethrystic is recessive and so is the blue. Golden red side idk. Jeff or shawn and maybe Tommie will have better information.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

What do you mean 'blue', what morph are you talking about? Also, what do you mean by 'golden'? If you don't know what morph you're talking about pictures might be helpful; morphs represent a certain collection of genes, so it's important to know the name of the morph you're talking about.

The only red-sided garters I'm aware of that have any actual blue on them are California red-sideds, which are a different species than red-sideds (I may be wrong; I don't keep up with red-sided morphs since I don't keep that species). You're not talking about breeding two different species together, right?

I don't want to jump on you if you're just looking for information, since that's how you learn, but if you're actually considering breeding I would recommend waiting until you know a little more about morphs and genetics and what traits your snakes actually have. If you breed without knowing what genes the offspring might have you'll have a really hard time advertising and selling them.

If you're unsure about what morphs your snakes are, post some pics and people on here can tell you.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

The Oregon red spotted has a recessive blue phase. The Calif. red sided I am not sure about whether they have a blue phase or not. They do resemble each other in various locales. I, certainly don't know for sure that's why I left it up to Jeff , Shawn and Tommie to qualify this.

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

im just here to read the comments as ive never heard of a golden red side or a blue for that matter. but i also do not keep them
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187

Quote Originally Posted by slipknot711 View Post
    im just here to read the comments as ive never heard of a golden red side or a blue for that matter. but i also do not keep them
    Yeah Ashley I am not sure about that one either. The Oregon red spotteds have a blue belly coloration as well. Some do. And I know there is a anethrystic red sided. Thamnophis sirtalis concinnus is the red spotted genus. Thamnophis sirtalis infernalis is the Calif. red sided. Golden ? idk.

Adult snake

Scott feltzer has blue red sided garters, T.parietalis, it is a color morph. I believe the goldens are his easterns he has.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Yeah, I've only heard of golden easterns. So far I've not seen that morph for any other species.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I think Jeff bred a erythrystic to a golden thus golden erythrystic. But the golden red sided idk. I believe that breeding (erythrystic golden) was done recently too.

I'm not sure where KashGarter aquired their animals, but Felzer on his website has golden and blue red sided garters. If you check out his site under price list you can see pics of all these animals. But again I don't know if that's what we are talking about here, if these animals are even in hand. Do you have these animals now Kash or just thinking of future pairings? As to what would be produced by such a pairing if the animals are in hand, I would say you end up with a bunch of normal looking scrubs possibly het for many things. The fun would start when you put the hets back to one another.