Hi, I'm New Here!

Temperature preferences?

I have 5 red-sided garters I decided to keep and breed this fall. I moved them into a new enclosure yesterday and was surprised to see a pair mating almost immediately - they've been in captivity for about a week. Actually, there was a big difference in the behavior of all 5 as soon as they entered the new enclosure. I'm using partially composited compost for a substrate with a generous layer of leaves in part of it. Its a fairly big cage: 4ft x 1 x 1. Its great to see them moving about more or less naturally.

I was a little surprised to see that they are not taking advantage of the warm spot under the light - only 78F there. Instead, they're hanging out at the cooler end - probably around 70F. Do you guys have an idea of the actual temp preferences of your snakes? What range of temps do you maintain, and for what species/subspecies?

Re: Temperature preferences?

I'm not sure there is a set preference as each snake likes to thermoregulate differently.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

My easterns seem to love basking under the heat light.
    I would love to see pics of your setup, it sounds awesome!
    Mel
    Proud owner of 9 amazing garter snakes and many other reptiles

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

my plains like 85- 90 on the hot side and 75-80 on the cool side and hides hover around 85 the other around 75 most like the warmer hide

"First shed In Progress" ObsidianDragon's Avatar

My little checkered has been hanging out in the hot end (83-87) lately. I wish I could join him. Brrr.
    Keeper of Dart, the Pastel Checkered Garter, Noodle, the Mexican Black King, and Natasha, the Russian Ratsnake

Hi, I'm New Here!

Interesting. I fed mine yesterday and they all came out to feed, then rather than bask, returned to the cooler side. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that they were caught during their fall migration to hibernacula. Anyway, here's the setup. Not quiet awesome :-) My carpentry skills leave a lot to to be desired, so this cage was designed to use the simplest of materials: 1x12 inch boards, a couple 1x2 inch trim boards and aluminum u-channel. I noticed there is a small gap between the glass and the wood side of the cage, so I screwed a couple strips of a yard stick to help close the gap. It wasn't big enough to allow the current snakes to escape but new borns would be able to. The enclosure is just under 4 ft.
    Screen Shot 2014-11-03 at 12.48.59 PM.jpgIMG_3107.JPG

Wow... thats sweet. Love the large water dish, and the leaves!!
    Mel
    Proud owner of 9 amazing garter snakes and many other reptiles