Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For First shed"

Bait Store Minnows?

Hi guys,
    Quick question. We just got back from fishing and I have few bait store minnows left over. I want try and see if our snake will eat a minnow as he is just on the worm diet right now (new snake owner). Do we have to freeze it first or can I try and let the snake eat one live? Just curious to see if he will eat something other than worms, that is until we try the pinkies in the near future.

Thanks

Re: Bait Store Minnows?

Many of our members use live fish, many used dead. If it is his/her first encounter with fish in captivity, you might find that the movement of a live fish stimulates a feeding response.
    James.

Thanks. It is the first encounter in captivity. I have placed them in a small clear container in the terrarium and they are flopping around and swimming. The snake is on a branch right above them and is not interested right now. I don't know whether to leave him be or try to guide him down there to the fish. All trial and error I guess.

I'd be tempted to just leave him be for now. Just see what happens.
    James.

Good idea. Guess I am just eager to see if he will eat something other than worms. If he wants to try it then he'll do it when he gets ready to. Only thing is The fish are in a low container and not too much water is in it so one has already floated to the top... oops. They'll both be dead by the time he gets off that stick - lol.

At least one is ready for freezing if he does like them. I better get a deeper container to put the fish in.

Sometimes for me it works better to put the live fish on the floor of the cage, and the flopping around makes the snakes a little bit more aggressive. I have ribbon snakes so I definatley know how it feel to have reluctant feeders!
    1.1.1 T.p.orarius Gulf Coast Ribbon
    1.0 T.e.vagrans Wandering Garter

Shine on you crazy diamond

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll try that when he comes down from basking on his stick. He's been up there for a while now and it appears that food is the last thing on his mind!

Well, Kurly came down from his perch and laid around the rocks for a little while. I laid one of the fish on the floor of the cage and Kurly didn't even notice it. I nudged him a little, he crawled right over it, then backed up and his tounge started flickering around . When he realized the fish was there, he gobbled it right up.

I am happy that he ate it so quickly once he realized it was there seeing how all we have given him are worms thus far. Now, lets just hope that he adjusts this quick to pinkies when we start him on those!

I cannot thank everyone enough for your quick relpies whenever I have a question. This is the GREATEST garter snake forum ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurly1 View Post
    Well, Kurly came down from his perch and laid around the rocks for a little while. I laid one of the fish on the floor of the cage and Kurly didn't even notice it. I nudged him a little, he crawled right over it, then backed up and his tounge started flickering around . When he realized the fish was there, he gobbled it right up.

I am happy that he ate it so quickly once he realized it was there seeing how all we have given him are worms thus far. Now, lets just hope that he adjusts this quick to pinkies when we start him on those!

I cannot thank everyone enough for your quick relpies whenever I have a question. This is the GREATEST garter snake forum ever!
    That is great news! I have a good tip for pinkies if you have trouble with those too.
    1.1.1 T.p.orarius Gulf Coast Ribbon
    1.0 T.e.vagrans Wandering Garter

Shine on you crazy diamond

If I do have trouble with them then I'll be sure to ask you.