Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice

Hi, I'm New Here!

Need Advice

A few days ago, I found a garter snake in the garden. Upon examining it, I realized that it had been paralyzed from about four inches behind the head. There are two clear puncture marks on either side of the snake's spine, so I'm thinking that it was probably the result of my dog having bitten it.

I was hoping that it would be, perhaps, some sort of temporary injury which would soon heal, maybe the result of reduced pressure experienced as the swelling subsided; however, as stated, it has been several days, now, with no sign of improvement. Additionally, it appears as though the snake has no sensation of feeling behind (posterior to) the wound, as I can touch it's body behind the wound, and it will not respond in any way.

As I approach it, the snake frantically tries to escape by writhing back and forth, using the small section of its body located anterior to the wound that still functions normally.

So, to my question: Do reptiles have the ability to regenerate spinal chord tissue, or is this snake permanently paralyzed? I am asking such a question because I am aware of the fact that many lizards can regenerate their "dropped" tails, so it seemed at least a remote possibility that such a capability might exist within the reptilian central nervous system; I doubt it, though.

Well, anyway, I thought it might be worth a long short, as remote as it seems to me. My guess is that the best thing to do for the poor animal is to simply put it out of its misery. I hate the thought of it just lying there, slowly starving to death.

Killing things is not exactly my favorite thing to do, so I would rather help the animal, if it were possible to bring it back to health. However, if my guess is correct, it will probably be the best thing to just end its suffering.

Thank you for your time and effort, in helping me with this situation.

Re: Need Advice

I would put it out of it's misery.
    Conservation Through Education
    www.jerrythesnakeman.com

The outlook certainly isn't good. At this point I think euthanasia would be best but you have the final call on that. I've been where you are at many time and it doesn't get any easier. Best of luck.
    Thanks for taking the time to shelter and care for this injured one.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Agree with the others. Euthanasia is probably best at this point. At least it didn't have to suffer starvation or getting eaten alive by something outside.

Quick, total ablation of the brain is the quickest way to end things for snakes. Just thought I'd toss that out there, since the first thought people have is usually decapitation, which leaves them suffering for quite a while.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I've not seen anything to indicate that a snake could recover from the sort of injury you've described.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Subadult snake

If there is a chance for it to recover, it is with veterinary help. Pain management seems paramount at the moment.

Squamate tail regeneration is completely different and occurs at predetermined slough zones. It is still possible to have a broken tail.

There are cases of iguana's recovering from back injuries that have caused paresis.
    Last week the ER/specialty centre I work at was on the news for the surgical fixation of a broken back in a hit by car dog that is now walking fine.

If you are unable to euthanize this animal (perhaps the best choice), your veterinarian or local wildlife rehabilitation centre will.

Ian

The best way to do it humanely is to connect to containers with a hose. Put the snake in one container, put vinegar and baking soda in the other. Make sure both containers are tight and put it to sleep.

Saji

Quote Originally Posted by Saji View Post
    The best way to do it humanely is to connect to containers with a hose. Put the snake in one container, put vinegar and baking soda in the other. Make sure both containers are tight and put it to sleep.

Saji
    I'd debate whether a home asphyxiation method is the most humane method of reptile euthanasia. For asphyxiation to be humane you need to use inert gas, not CO2. If you merely use CO2 to displace O2 in the atmosphere it causes distress as the brain tells the animal that there is too much CO2 in the blood stream, that kicks in the physiological mechanisms like breathing heavily and the instinct to fight for breath.
    Using an inert gas will displace oxygen in the air without raising the CO2 level, the body therefore does not detect elevated CO2 in the blood that is associated with suffocation and the body slips into a hypoxic state. From memory I think neon is best for this method because it's around the same molecular weight as oxygen (although I have a nagging feeling that the experiment I saw on hypoxia showed that argon resulted in a calmer transition to unconsciousness in humans).

Sorry for diverting the post from the original topic Rayzen, I hope that the little garter is not suffering now (hopefully recovered, but I suspect not).
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

[QUOTE=chris-uk;256937]I'd debate whether a home asphyxiation method is the most humane method of reptile euthanasia. For asphyxiation to be humane you need to use inert gas, not CO2. If you merely use CO2 to displace O2 in the atmosphere it causes distress as the brain tells the animal that there is too much CO2 in the blood stream, that kicks in the physiological mechanisms like breathing heavily and the instinct to fight for breath.
    Using an inert gas will displace oxygen in the air without raising the CO2 level, the body therefore does not detect elevated CO2 in the blood that is associated with suffocation and the body slips into a hypoxic state. From memory I think neon is best for this method because it's around the same molecular weight as oxygen (although I have a nagging feeling that the experiment I saw on hypoxia showed that argon resulted in a calmer transition to unconsciousness in humans).

Everything is suspect or debatable here. It seems very rapid and painless to me.

Saji

[QUOTE=Saji;256938]
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    Everything is suspect or debatable here. It seems very rapid and painless to me.

Saji
    Not sure what you mean about "everything being suspect or debatable here"? Do you mean on the forum, or more broadly about euthanasia? My comment was based upon controlled scientific experiments measuring physiological parameters of humans and other animals up to a hypoxic point where they lost consciousness.
    Chris