Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Third shed, A Success" ScimitarX's Avatar

Can anyone help?

My 18 month old Male San Francisco has lost a lot of weight in the last couple of weeks, hes been eating fine and pooping normally, as well as being active at his usual times. I cant figure out why hes lost weight, he has 1 or 2 pinkies every week usually and sometimes garter grub. He has a hide and a water bowl and i keep him on tissue paper as substrate because he doesnt seem to like other kinds of bedding. Ive noticed a soft lump appear just before his vent, he hasnt eaten this week though he was bluff striking like he did maybe want to eat. So i think im gonna take him to the vet this week. Just wondered if you guys had any ideas.
    Claire

Re: Can anyone help?

I couldn't really comment on the lump, Claire, without seeing a picture. I think you're wise to consult with a vet at the earliest opportunity.

You don't say how big the snake is, but at 18 months old, 2 pinkies per week doesn't sounds like much food. Good luck, and keep us informed of his progress.
    James.

Information and a pic

I agree to James.
    Every possible cause for the lump would be an urgent cause to vistit a vet.
    Your snake is ill!
    Length and weight would be helpful information further to those about age, caging and feeding that you gave.
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

hes not that big, pinkies is all he can manage, ive often thought hes a bit small for how old hes supposed to be, must be about 18-20 inches, dont think hes grown much since i got him in november from Alan Francis, he doesnt shed very often either.
    Claire

Claire, it's got to be a vet visit I think. Pretty quick too.
    James.

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

Quote Originally Posted by ScimitarX View Post
    hes not that big, pinkies is all he can manage, ive often thought hes a bit small for how old hes supposed to be, must be about 18-20 inches, dont think hes grown much since i got him in november from Alan Francis, he doesnt shed very often either.

i have been feeding both of mine 2 pinkies or even 3 if the pinkies are really small and thats twice a week on saturdays and wednesday

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScimitarX View Post
    Ive noticed a soft lump appear just before his vent, .
    Just a thought... you have probably thought of the following but just incase....

is the soft lump on the skin or within the body?
    If on the skin, its not a blister is it?
    How dry is the cage? you mentioned using tissue paper, which can get overly wet which could cause blisters..

Hope all is ok,

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Also on the feeding thing..
    Have you checked the temp in the tank? mine will eat less if the temp drops, just a prolonged draught is enough to put mine off food for a while...and also how much do you offer it? and how often (is it more than he is eating?

yeah im definitely taking him to the vet on tues or thurs, the vet we use is very good so hopefully he'll know whats wrong. The lump is internal. I make sure to keep his tissue dry, i replace it gets wet and and generally once or twice a week when hes pooped. Hes in a plastic tub on a shelf above our leopard geckos light starter which does get fairly warm, and the room hes in does get quite warm, though i could try moving him somewhere warmer, maybe next to where we keep hatchlings in our conservatory.
    Claire

oopss!! missed the bit about feeding. 1 pinky is usually enough for him as it does leave a rather large bulge in his belly, as his body isnt much thicker than a pinky, i offer him seconds if he still looks hungry, but doesnt always have it. hes always been a bit of a reluctant feeder and i do have to move his food around alot before he takes it.
    Claire