Hi, I'm New Here!

Lightbulb Help with New Jersey Storeria Dekayi (Northern Brown Snake) / Baby Snakes

(Pictures included!)

This is a fairly long one, but I'm new to snakes and I want to ensure my little snake (and her babies) live the best life possible!

I live near Newark, New Jersey. While cutting my lawn on July 1, I found a snake about 15" long. I had seen similar snakes dead in my streets, so I decided to rescue the guy and bring him in.

As far as I can tell, it's a Storeria Dekayi (Northern Brown Snake). She shed within a few days; she was easy to pick up and generally pretty calm. I did pick her up a few times and she went berserk, so I've gotten better at spotting when she is ready for being picked up and when she wants her alone time.

She currently lives in a small cage, with a a fist-sized cave (that doubles as a water bowl), a few inches of dirt from where I found her, and various foliage (leaves, rotting wood, etc). I watch her with the lid off, and she seems unable to escape.

I've been digging up worms from where I found her (3" to 6" in length) as well as slugs (1" to 3" in length); I'm pretty sure she only ate one really small worm, once. She may have eaten one or two chunks I cut up, but, then again, she may have just hid them in the dirt. She certainly never eats in front of me when I put the small, live worm in the cage with her.

She recently had babies (first time learning it was a "she" -- is there any other way to tell? I couldn't even tell she had eight little snakes in her!), so she must have been pregnant when I found her. She is certainly thinner after having babies (I woke up to find them all around the cage.. all alive, is that common? I think they give live birth? that would have been cool to see) and her skin looked ragged. She shed, and she looks really healthy (for what I can tell) now.

These little snakes were about 2" to 3" in length, and jet black in color. Basically, they looked like little worms with snake heads, really fascinating. This doesn't seem to match exactly what I've seen for Storeria Dekayi babies, but maybe it's because they were very newborn. They've grown a lot in just a few days. They love to tangle with each other, usually sleeping in pairs of 2-4, all curled up together, it's adorable.

They're really, really playful too. I have a lot of leaves for them to hide / play in, and they often imitate each other's poses and sneak out on the leaves in threes. Some of them dig under the dirt and pop their heads out in tandem. It's precious.

The babies (seem to) eat tiny cut up worms I put in a small dish.. I cut them into ballpoint pen tip-sized pieces. This is kind of difficult, because when you slice the worm its cuts pour out. I've never seen one eat, but the food is gone in the morning. Again, these little rascals are pretty wild and they might be knocking it into the dirt.

I'm looking for some help with the following. Any advice is appreciated. I included whatever pictures I could; these guys are so tiny, none of my cameras (which include some high end stuff) can get a good picture, and I don't have a macro lens.

1) Is this definitely a Storeria Dekayi?

2) Is it common to get 8 living (seemingly, hopefully healthy) snakes from one mother?

3) Do snakes inbreed? If all goes well and I raise them properly, will potential brothers and sisters produce more snakes? Is that a problem?

4) Is it safe to release any of these snakes into the wild? If so, when? With proper care, do these guys have a better chance to live in captivity?

5) Any good feeding tips for momma and her babies? These snakes appear to be defecating (I find what I believe must be snake feces all over the cage), but I've never really seen them eat. Is it possible they're eating tiny (almost invisible to the human eye) insects in the dirt, and, if so, maybe I should constantly bring in fresh dirt to help them?

Any questions you have for me, please ask. I am aiming to raise very healthy snakes, so I want to help them as much as possible!

Thanks!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help with New Jersey Storeria Dekayi (Northern Brown Snake) / Baby Snakes

That is Storeria dekayi. Great little snakes.

Sounds like a normal size litter.

It is best not to let the brothers and sisters breed or bother to mother.

It is as safe as to release them as nature will allow. The mother would have had them out there. The sooner you release the better. Fall is one the way and they need to find a place to brumate for the Winter.

Small, cut up worms and slug pieces will be their favorite foods.

Our resident dekayi expert is infernalis (Wayne, moderator). Hoping he'll add to the thread.
    Be sure to introduce yourself in the "Welcome Lounge"

Welcome Lounge
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

The babies can be a real challenge to raise.

Many babies will not accept worms unless they are newborn night crawlers (found under damp logs and leaf litter compost) however most are immediatly drawn to very small (baby) garden slugs.

Go out into the yard at dusk, right when the dew is making the grass damp, and use a flashlight, I found it easiest to harvest them by using a toothpick to knock the tiny slugs into a cup.

One baby dekayi can down a lot of slugs, a whole litter is going to need a whole bunch, and that means every night you will be out gathering slugs and baby worms.

Slugs are definatly the way to go with brown snakes. Mine will eat slugs or cut up nightcrawlers but it took forever to get her to eat nightcrawlers.
    "Cleopatra"-Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    "Napoleon"-Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    "Pedro"-Storeria dekayi dekayi

Congratulations! As Wayne said, slugs are their favourite food! My Brown snake will eat worms but slugs have been and still are her favourite!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Hi, I'm New Here!

It's winter and it's getting cold.. I had kept her in a tank in my kitchen, but the heating in my house is inconsistent to say the least.

If I plan to feed her through the winter with store-bought worms, what temperatures should I worry about. Is a heating lamp required at all, or is 60 degrees a safe enough room temperature day in and day out?

In my opinion 60° is low for proper digestion. Garters need a temp gradient so they can thermoregulate properly. 70° on the cool side and 83°-85° on the warm side would be nice.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSnake View Post
    It's winter and it's getting cold.. I had kept her in a tank in my kitchen, but the heating in my house is inconsistent to say the least.

If I plan to feed her through the winter with store-bought worms, what temperatures should I worry about. Is a heating lamp required at all, or is 60 degrees a safe enough room temperature day in and day out?
    if you have a petsmart near you you can find a brand called all living things in a green box and there prices for that brand are very reasonable atleast get on heat lamp so she has access to heat up. atleast for now till maybe you find something more suitable. hope i helped
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187