Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Preparing For Second shed"

Must I hibernate them for breeding?

I have a pair of wandering garters that I hope to breed this coming spring, however the question arises, must I hibernate them? The female has not hibernated in 3 years so I am unsure how she would do, that and I can't bear to see my huge terrarium-- empty.. So is there a way to dodge the hibernation? Maybe I'll get lucky and they will just mate without it...

Re: Must I hibernate them for breeding?

Well, they say that it's not necessary to hibernate them, but it increases the chances of them mating. I didn't hibernate mine (T.s.parietalis), but I did shut off the lights and heating for over a month in the fall when they stopped eating, and they mated.

Then again, parietalis are different. They can apparently be stimulated to mate by significantly lowering the temperature for a day or two.

Stefan is right, it's not necessary always, but the results are better when hibernated.

Although I would like to add that it's probably better for the health of your snake to give it a hibernation period.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaky View Post
    Although I would like to add that it's probably better for the health of your snake to give it a hibernation period.
    You know more than I do for sure, but it would make sense to me that hibernation would have a negative effect? Wouldn't it cause stress and lower the immune system?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    You know more than I do for sure, but it would make sense to me that hibernation would have a negative effect? Wouldn't it cause stress and lower the immune system?
    My thoughts of it (purely speculation and not based on anything scientific) is that it gives the snake a "reboot". I always thought of it as a way of them to clean out thier system and start fresh for the next year.
    0.0.1 Sesarma bidens ~ Clawz
    1.1.0 Thamnophis marcianus ~ Mr & Mrs Dinky
    0.1.0 Trachemys scripta eligans ~ Vikki
    1.0.0 Trachemys scripta scripta ~ Mr.T
    2.0.0 Rattus rattus ~ Rolo & Munchie

I certainly don't know more It's more something I've heard from others and experienced it myself.

It's true that it's a risk, but that's only for an unhealthy snake (sick, to thin, having parasites, ...). Of course you can't always see that your snake is unhealthy... Another thing is, you need to prepare it well. Nothing in the guts, no sudden drops, ... So I agree, it's always a risk.

Otherwise it's a normal cycle they do every year and it will longer their live. During the hibernation they go in a more 'passive mode'. It's like they don't age that much when in hibernation. They also look 'refreshed' once they are out of hibernation.

I would think that it's good for them to give their system a thorough rest like that
    not that I know
    I just draw parallels to other beings (fish, humans)
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

My point was, is it really rest? In the wild, a significant portion of them die during hibernation. Wouldn't that indicate that it jeopardizes their health? In the wild, it's often just a necessary evil.

In humans, I'd rather compare it to fasting, than to rest. Puts a great deal of strain on the systems.

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

ok so for us new comers like me that don't really have much experiance
    with garters, what would be the best steps to take to put your snake(s)
    into hibernation?

the red sided giant reptileparadise's Avatar

I usually wait until it gets a bit colder outside. This affects the temperatures of my reptileroom. The animals will notice this and start preparing for hibernation. When the temperatures start to drop, I start reducing the hours of light a day. I reduce it with about an hour a week.
    As soon as I start reducing the lighthours, I stop feeding them (usually they already stopped eating well before that)
    When I'm down to about 8 hours of light a day, I shut their lights off.
    After two weeks without any other light then daylight, I move them to their hibernating boxes.

In the wild, a significant portion of them die during hibernation.
    Yes, indeed. But like snaky says
    It's true that it's a risk, but that's only for an unhealthy snake (sick, to thin, having parasites, ...).
    I have never seen any wild garters, but I guess they wont look like as healthy as our captive snakes