Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Need lighting advice...

I have two stacking cages. Currently have 18" Reptisun 10 lights above each with domes holding daylight heat bulbs and night time heat bulbs.

Now that spring is here the heat bulbs won't be used much BUT I would like to add some additional light that does NOT emit heat as the cages are a bit too dark (they are wood sided so they don't get much natural light).

Any ideas on a bright/low or no heat light bulb would fit in the 6" dome light fixtures? I would rather use the light fixtures that I have rather than get two more long fluorescent light holders (they seem to be a pain regarding the bulbs turning on etc...)

Adult snake

Re: Need lighting advice...

Have you looked into LED light strips? I think they are a bit pricy up front but they're super energy efficient with no heat.

I can't think of any bulbs that fit a traditional socket that produce negligible heat. Even my CFLs get hot to the touch.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Have you looked into LED light strips? I think they are a bit pricy up front but they're super energy efficient with no heat.

I can't think of any bulbs that fit a traditional socket that produce negligible heat. Even my CFLs get hot to the touch.
    Thanks! I did not even know about those! Looking at the type that has 3 bulbs, 1 daylight and I can add "colormax" bulbs to it to bring out the red in my flames.

That light is okay for them right? It won't seem weird and put them off their food or anything? I have the 18" Reptisun which hopefully provides enough full spectrum (the screen top probably filters out some of the UV), I am no expert on this lighting business. Would it be okay? I guess "too much" light isn't a problem for them?

Amazon.com: Aqueon Colormax LED Aquarium Lamp, Size 30: Pet Supplies

Will

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

we also use energy efficient bulbs in summer, very low wattage, bright light but almost no heat.
    http://www.infiniteunknown.net/wp-co.../new-light.jpg
    Inge
    our house is like a zoo, too many to list here!

Thanks so much for all the advice.

I was very tempted by the LED light setups (running about $200 for a pair) but also found some hopefully standard sized LED light bulbs for much much less. Hopefully they will fit in my existing light fixtures.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    Also Ikea's Ledburg lights are very good and almost half the price of the Dioder. The Dioder is more flexible though as it splits into 4 small strips which could be used to light 4 vivs (I use one unit to light two vivs).
    The other thing to look for are LED "bulbs" that fit standard light sockets. I also use these in spotlights, just a 5W, 130 lumen LED bulb that fits an E14 fitting.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Adult snake

I have not gone looking for LED's, but for lighting in general I almost always find what I need at a hardware store for half of what pet stores charge.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    The other thing to look for are LED "bulbs" that fit standard light sockets. I also use these in spotlights, just a 5W, 130 lumen LED bulb that fits an E14 fitting.
    Yeah I bought two standard sized 800 Luminum (10 watt) bulbs that can be dimmed. I hope that provides enough light (and I hope they fit my little domes).

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I have not gone looking for LED's, but for lighting in general I almost always find what I need at a hardware store for half of what pet stores charge.
    I live in a small town and usually find things cheaper on Amazon (free shipping and a bigger selection). I am just happy to learn that LED lights have low heat output!