Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello people.

"First shed In Progress"

Hello people.

Hello, I'm new here and to Snakes in general. I've owned reptiles before(Back when I was kid) and they never really worked out well because myself and my parents weren't too knowledgeable on the subject. However, this time I've done the research and hopefully have done things properly, and so far my new Garter seems to be doing quite well.

I've owned him for maybe a month or so, and he generally eats well and has just finished shedding(Happened in a couple pieces, but much better than the shed he was going through when I bought him). I bought him(Or her, still not quite sure) from Petco, which I know isn't too smart, but I don't really know anywhere else I could get one around here. He was sold to me as an Indonesian, though I don't really know, and at the moment he's about a foot and half. He's pretty active, explores his enclosure alot, and doesn't seem too bothered by me when I handle him, in fact, I found out fairly quickly that while he won't eat from my hand, he'll eat while I'm holding him, so I don't think he's too worried about me.

That's about all I can think of to say, but so far this forum has given quite a bit of information about how to go about some of this stuff and I look forward to any advice I can get, and in the future, give.

Re: Hello people.

Welcome aboard.

"First shed In Progress"

Thank you, I fairly certain I'll enjoy it here.

Adult snake

Welcome aboard, a pic would help us properly identify the species.

"First shed In Progress"

I plan on it, but I need to get a camera from my mom to do that, as I don't normally have a reason to take pictures of anything. But he's mostly black, with the white specks near his head and four gold-brown stripes that taper off into two as they get closer to the tail. The underbelly is white and black, scale by scale, which looks pretty cool in my opinion.

Nice to have you with us. What you have there probably isn't a true garter snake. They are advertised as an "Indonesian Garter Snake"
    Probably a Striped Keelback-Xenochrophis vittatus
    Striped keelback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What are you feeding it?
    You should also know that these are usually wild caught and carry a parasite load. Getting a fecal float done and treatment for parasites is money well spent as few of these survive captivity very long in most cases.
    I think they are an awesome snake and if they were captive bred I would keep them.
    I did find this on-line care sheet for them and some other info.
    I do believe one of our members,
    aSnakeLovinBabe-Shannon has them or used to keep them.

Striped keelback, aka indonesian garter snake Care Sheet - Care, Diet, Housing Enclosures, Sexing, Lighting, Temperatures, Vitamin and Calcium Supplements.

Indonesian Garter Snake Questions... - Reptile Forums
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzier View Post
    I plan on it, but I need to get a camera from my mom to do that, as I don't normally have a reason to take pictures of anything. But he's mostly black, with the white specks near his head and four gold-brown stripes that taper off into two as they get closer to the tail. The underbelly is white and black, scale by scale, which looks pretty cool in my opinion.
    Sounds like a Striped-keelback. Beautiful snakes.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Nice to have you with us. What you have there probably isn't a true garter snake. They are advertised as an "Indonesian Garter Snake"
    Probably a Striped Keelback-Xenochrophis vittatus
    Striped keelback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What are you feeding it?
    You should also know that these are usually wild caught and carry a parasite load. Getting a fecal float done and treatment for parasites is money well spent as few of these survive captivity very long in most cases.
    I think they are an awesome snake and if they were captive bred I would keep them.
    I did find this on-line care sheet for them and some other info.
    I do believe one of our members,
    aSnakeLovinBabe-Shannon has them or used to keep them.

Striped keelback, aka indonesian garter snake Care Sheet - Care, Diet, Housing Enclosures, Sexing, Lighting, Temperatures, Vitamin and Calcium Supplements.

Indonesian Garter Snake Questions... - Reptile Forums
    Where are my manners.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"First shed In Progress"

Oh...Wow, he looks exactly like one of the pictures in the Reptile Forums. So, if he isn't a Garter Snake, exactly what should I expect in terms of full length? Also, he was fed Red Minnows at PetCo and I'm in the process of transferring him to Pinkies, which he takes well if they're scented enough. I am reading the information on this breed, but any other information(Even its the same, I like information from multiple sources) would be great.

I gave a call to Shannon(left message) so hopefully it was here phone I called and she will stop by to add to the thread.
    Ditch the Rosy minnows(except for scenting). Look in the care sheet and read about thiaminase. If scenting pinkies is working that's great. I do believe they will also take night crawlers too.

I once gain suggest strongly that you look into getting a fecal float done. Maybe call the seller and ask if he knows whether they are wild caught or captive bred. Knowing Petco they are wild caught.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!