Thread: Shedding?

Hi, I'm New Here!

Exclamation Shedding?

Hey guys, so I just got my first snake. He was born September 10th so he is about seven months.
    I got him from a friend who has been breeding them for some time, so she walking me through the shedding process but I have not been able to get a hold of her. I had an observation that seems strange to me and I wanted to check in to see if it was normal/okay.

His head had separated from the rest of his body. It did not take him long to shed the rest of his body, but his head has not shed.
    Is this normal?
    is there something I should be doing to help him?

Re: Shedding?

That shed needs to come off completely. Normally, it would come off in one piece.

Everybody has a favorite method of doing it, but the old skin needs to be moistened and taken off. Personally, I prefer bathing the snake in warm water, grabbing the edge of the old skin and holding on while the snake pulls itself out of it.

Others prefer using a shed box:

Adult snake

An hour or so in a shed box like in the video above should do the trick. Sometimes I have to close the damp towel around their head, and then it comes off when they back out. If neither of those work, you might need to hold him down and pull it off with forceps.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

A bit of time in a shed box, then if it's not come off I go with Stefan's method of holding the edge of the shed and letting the snake pull itself free.

Your first shed and it's a problem one, talk about baptism by fire. There's no reason to think that the next shed won't be completely normal. It does drum home the importance of checking each and every shed to make sure they are complete.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Good eye seeing the problem. You've been given sound advice from the others.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks guys, Ive got him in a shed box now and hopefully that works. I will keep you posted.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

How did you get on with the head?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Hi, I'm New Here!

So, The shed box did not work for him. I did have the breeder over to help me out and we bathed him and with a little bit of stress managed to keep him calm and peel what was left on his head off. He is shed-free and happier then I have seen him in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by cheyanne View Post
    So, The shed box did not work for him. I did have the breeder over to help me out and we bathed him and with a little bit of stress managed to keep him calm and peel what was left on his head off. He is shed-free and happier then I have seen him in a long time
    That's great.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee