Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exo Terra

Never shed

Exo Terra

I bought the exo terra with my red sided but the warmest ive seen it is hot end 24c ambient,17c cool end ambient... The snake is always cold to the touch. The exo terra is the large. Am i used to heating a water monitors viv,burmese viv and worrying to much? Does it need a hot basking spot? It's a big viv for a little snake and im worried about the heating. I know it's a none tropical snake. When i picked it up from the shop it was warm like picking up a florida king. Any advice im all ears. Thanks

Re: Exo Terra

What heat source are you using? What substrate and how deep is it?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    I bought the exo terra with my red sided but the warmest ive seen it is hot end 24c ambient,17c cool end ambient... The snake is always cold to the touch. The exo terra is the large. Am i used to heating a water monitors viv,burmese viv and worrying to much? Does it need a hot basking spot? It's a big viv for a little snake and im worried about the heating. I know it's a none tropical snake. When i picked it up from the shop it was warm like picking up a florida king. Any advice im all ears. Thanks
    Yes, it should be warmer for sure. You want 28-30C as a hotspot. Your problem is that it's a glass enclosure and it will not retain heat well at all. You should look at insulating the back and sides with polystyrene or radiator reflector foil and/or using a more powerful heat-source. Also, if the roof is the open/mesh type and un-hooded you should look at investing in a cover for it or covering it with a towel or something else for the time-being.
    One more thing to check - if using a heatmat - make sure your substrate layer isn't too deep and preventing the heat from transferring through properly.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Never shed

iphone 5 129.jpgiphone 5 130.jpgiphone 5 131.jpgiphone 5 132.jpgiphone 5 137.jpg

Substrate isn't deep,and only have the 100watt heat bulb as you can see... If you can from what you can see tell me how to go about this. I knew i should have stuck to a wooden viv.

Check out the section on substrate in the care sheet.

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

With my old glass vivariums, which I use for quaranteen, I covered the sides with this B&Q Radiator Reflective Foil - 500mm x 5m, 0000003765739
    I also have an old viv (similar to the exo with the mesh lid) where I used a spare piece of melamine to cover the top and stop all the heat escaping through the roof, so to speak.
    I stopped using incandescent bulbs as a heat source a long time ago but I used them in conjunction with a low wattage heat-mat to keep temperatures right. You could try upping the bulb to 150 watts, but an additional heatmat may be a more economical solution in addition to the insulation fixes.

P.S. - adding a rocky area directly under the lamp could also help to store/maximise the heat in the viv
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I've got a whole bunch of ExoTerra vivs, I don't plan to get more. They are fine with a good ambient temp and the right size heatmats, but I'm struggling to maintain temps in when the room temperature drops. Extra insulation on top, back and sides is a good idea.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Maybe some twigs closer to the bulb to give the snake a good gradient and kingspan or similar to retain heat.

As Garters are extremely adaptive it isn't critical at the mo.
    Will

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    iphone 5 129.jpgiphone 5 130.jpgiphone 5 131.jpgiphone 5 132.jpgiphone 5 137.jpg

Substrate isn't deep,and only have the 100watt heat bulb as you can see... If you can from what you can see tell me how to go about this. I knew i should have stuck to a wooden viv.
    Nice set up and nice looking snake, what type of substrate is that?