Thread: amazing isopods

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

amazing isopods

I've mentioned before that I have one bi-active enclosure with a substrate of coco husk, potting soil, and humus from my mulch bin.

Isopods (pill bugs, sow bugs, whatever.) Are part of this system, but I've had my doubts about how much clean up they really do... until today!

Cranky shed last night. I noticed it this morning, but decided to wait until later to clean it out as Cranky and Trax were sunning happily, and I hated to disturb them.

I just looked in, and to my surprise saw several pill bugs out and gnawing away at the shed skin where it was in contact with the substrate and bark. In just a few hours these busy little guys gobbled down a two Inch section of shed skin.

I knew they were eating leaf debris, and that they might also clean up some wastes, but I had no idea that some would venture out during daylight for a bit of shed skin- I didn't realize they were quite so omnivorous.

It also makes me wonder how opportunistic they might get if a snake was injured. I don't want my clean up crew nibbling on anything but trash.

Re: amazing isopods

That sounds quite creepy.

Adult snake

om nom nom
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Pics or it didn't happen!

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

That's really cool! I was under the impression that they only ate soft or decomposing items. Perhaps the shed was kept moist when in contact with the substrate and the isopods decided it was edible. All the same, very interesting!
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Overnight report.
    Half the shed (the half laying on the substrate.) Is completely gone.
    The part hanging up in the plants android over the wood seems untouched, but I haven't dug it out to see if its partially nibbled. I know these guys will climb up an inch or two to nibble the leaflets of freshly sprouted soybean seedlings if the compost is too close, but i'm not sure how high they will climb in their foraging.

Moisture from the substrate is a good theory too.

I don't think my phone camera or point n shoot will get a pic in this tight dark corner in the lee of their stump, but the entire tail section, which was complete and perfect yesterday morning is now gone. About 5to 6 inches of a 20larger inch shed.