"First shed In Progress"

Snakes and Music?

Maybe I'm just a little looney, or maybe not. But it seems like Steve responds to music (or maybe the vibrations). Once when I was holding him, I was singing to myself, and I noticed that when I would, he would stop moving. I tried it again tonight with the same song to see if it was just my imagination, only to find that when he was in his tank, the same thing happened. When the music started, he would stop moving. He also seemed to move to better adjust what he had his head propped on. As soon as the music stopped, he started moving around again.

Do you guys have any experiences with strange things like this?

Re: Snakes and Music?

I think you're right when you said he is just reacting to the vibrations. The sound bouncing off the sides is probably something he's not used to hearing/feeling.
    I don't think you have anything strange going on but if he starts dancing let us know.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Yeah I think that it is just the sound vibrations.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

I would say it's probably just the vibrations. But you might want to check to see if there's a lightning bolt on your forehead, just in case.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Juvenile snake

I've had this thought a few times too. I believe it is just the vibrations they are not normallly exposed to. When a snake feels vibrations from unknown sources in the wild, it generally tends to stop moving in hopes of staying hidden. Once those vibrations recede, whatever they're from, be it a car or someone walking by, the snakes begin to move again. Though some snakes do have different escape methods, most will stay put until they are certain they are not hidden. Your snake is probably just being cautious on both your behalfs, not recognizing where the vibrations come from, or not recognizing the vibrations to be affiliated with yourself.
    Kephren J.
    2.4 T. ordinoides and counting. 2.0 T. s. pickeringii. 1.0.1 T. e. vagrans

Limbs? hmpph, who needs those!?