Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lighting for Albino

I've got a couple questions about lighing for Tallie, my albino. I am under the impression that they can't see red light, is this correct? If so, if I were to use a red light on her during the day and then off at night, like a normal light, would she be in the dark(through her eyes at least) all day long?

The reason I'm asking is because I had a regular 40W bulb, and every time she would go to the warm side she would go under the cage carpet. She likes to be on that side alot, and I'm worried it was too bright for her eyes. I have a little shade wall made of cardboard to block some light on her cool side, so she can be out without the light shinging in her eyes. I bought her a red bulb today thinking it would be good if she couldn't see it, but I don't want her to be in the dark all day.
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Re: Lighting for Albino

Not sure what color they can see but they are equipped with cones and rod in the eyes so I don't think it's beyond reason to think they do.
    I would believe it's not the full spectrum of color though.
    Just my thoughts on the subject.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Adult snake

She probably can't see by the light of a red bulb, which is why many use them for heat at night.

I know they are expensive, but I use a ceramic bulb that only emits heat. Natural light and my normal room lighting make up the difference, which makes for ~12 hours of light year-round.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

I was thinking of getting a ceramic heat emitter thing, but my room stays mostly dark, the majority of the day.

Do you guys think I should stick with the regular 40W and let her fend for her own cover if it bothers her eyes(theres plenty of plants, a hide, and the cage carpet she can go under).
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Here is her basking in her red light

P1110417.jpg
    ~* Emily *~

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe albinos or non-albinos can see red bulbs (at least not well) which is why they're used for so many reptiles as night lights. I don't know about snakes, but I know albino frogs can go blind from full spectrum light (the real danger zone is full spectrum light above 40 watts). Eye problems are even a problem in humans with albinism, so I probably wouldn't risk putting my albino under a bright light.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I think I'll stick with this and maybe get some kind LED light and keep it kinda far away or something dim and non-heat emitting. She really seems to like this red one.
    ~* Emily *~

40 watt reveal or daylight blue if you are into reptile bulbs
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

The one I had was a 40W Reveal, but she was almost ALWAYS hiding. I think I'll try this one out with a little dimmer light that makes no heat and see how she likes that. I'd like to see her out more
    ~* Emily *~

Thanks for the input guys
    ~* Emily *~