Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guess who was smart, yert fealt stupid in the first wildlife management lab?

this is my second day at SFASU and my first wildlife management class and lab were today. We talked about varied species and the beginning was all herpetology.... i learned a lot but i was the one shouting out the answers to all his questions like "Are water snakes or garter snakes venomous?" "Well garters are but not to humans, their neurotoxin is lethal to amphibians" "...oh well i meant people"(the TA was teaching it and he seemed genuinely baffled), the taxonomy wasnt too hard but i pounced when it came to garter snakes
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Re: Guess who was smart, yert fealt stupid in the first wildlife management lab?

Tear them up Robert
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: Guess who was smart, yert fealt stupid in the first wildlife management lab?

I'm trying my best no prisoners... (except the pretty college girls the girl to guy ratio here is 7:1 )

growing up is optional "

Garters actually do have very mild affects on humans. I got bit on Sunday by my eastern female, and you can see where the posterior fangs hit it is bluish red with a scabbed over dot in the middle. And then little tiny red marks for where her teeth were. When I got it it was actually a pretty bad bite (compared to most garters). It even swelled up a little, and it was much more red at the time, it turned red after I had washed it off and stopped the bleeding (it turned bluer after an hour or so). It felt like a combination of a itchiness, and numbness. That was a really extreme case though. It is rare for this ever to happen, but I am to blame, I should have washed my hands off after working with cut open pinkies, her favorite.

photo-8.jpg

You can see how it started swelling in this picture. It is not very red there, it started to turn red when I stopped the bleeding. But the mark hasn't gone away yet, but it has improved since then. I wish I had taken a picture 2 hours later when it was at it's worst.

Anyway, I wish you a lot of luck in this class!
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    Posterior fangs
    My bad, garters don't have fangs. Posterior teeth.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Im going for a herpetology course at Bangor Uni.Cant wait!

oh and the venom isnt lethal it just calms or stuns the prey making eating it easier.
    Will

thanks Greg and good luck to you Will

growing up is optional "

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    oh and the venom isnt lethal it just calms or stuns the prey making eating it easier.
    Yes, apparently at least on amphibians, it has a calming sedative effect. Naturally, it's struggling amphibians that are going to get a good dose as the snake "chews" and the amphibian struggles. After a brief struggle, they just seem to give up and calm down as they're being swallowed alive. Partially due to the garter "venom".

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    Im going for a herpetology course at Bangor Uni.Cant wait!
    Bangor do a herp course? I live in driving distance of Bangor... what course? I wonder if I can do it around work?
    Inge
    our house is like a zoo, too many to list here!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHedgehog View Post
    Bangor do a herp course? I live in driving distance of Bangor... what course? I wonder if I can do it around work?
    It's called Zoology with herpetology :]
    Will