Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adult Enclosure 3D Cad w/ Stress Analysis

So after talking with Steve and from past experience I spent a few hours today with my engineering software to determine what type of design I would use to minimize weight, minimize cost, and at the same time hold up to the force that the cage will be under when I have bedding, snakes, and other cages stalked on top of it.

I started off with reinforcing each of the sides, bottom, top, and back with triangles ( By nature these are one of the strongest structures and distribute the force very well ) After running a stress analysis with a force load of 500 lb. +, I realized that I really didn't need as much support as I thought.

For the most part the load is going to be distributed at the edges. The substrate on the bottom is not going to affect it as much as one would think. I know Steve uses beefier supports to frame out his cage but I planned on designing my cages 36"x14"x18" (l x w x h). Each will house 2-4 adults depending on size and breeding plans. The babies will continue to be kept in a rack system because it just does not make sense to build cages for the babies.

Anyways... The frame is going to be 1" x 1" square dowel rods while I plan to use 1/4" plywood to bring everything together. The front will be sliding glass doors on a metal track. I have uploaded a picture of the frame my inventor software that I found to work best and keep cost down. I have estimated that the supplies will come in around $40.00 per cage give or take $5. I will drill holes in the frame and put the pieces together with wood glue, 1/4" round wood dowels, and small screws.

They will be heated with 11" flexwatt and incandescent lighting will be used in all the cages and mounted to the top. If you have any suggestions or have any ideas to improve please let me know. I am confident that what I have will hold under the given stress loads so structurally I am sound. Debating building a raised level that is 6" raised up and 3" extended out from the back that I would fill with substrate but offer another viewing level for the snakes.
    cage frame.jpg

For whatever reason I can not get the picture to format correctly....
    Tyler
    www.checkeredgarter.com

"Preparing For First shed" Buck's Avatar

Re: Adult Enclosure 3D Cad w/ Stress Analysis

I think they'd really like a second level Nice building project.
    The name's Buck. Short for Buckminster. Long for Buh.

Adult snake

Now all you need is a 3D printer...
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Now all you need is a 3D printer...
    Have one actually.... Not one that prints out 3 ft long by 1.5 ft high cages haha... I think the max is like 18 " x 18 " x 18 "
    Tyler
    www.checkeredgarter.com

I like it.

Made one somewhat similar a few years ago. 21x21mm rods and 4mm plywood, hinged PC doors. I've forgotten the exact measurements, but it was about 110 x 70 x 55 cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    I like it.

Made one somewhat similar a few years ago. 21x21mm rods and 4mm plywood, hinged PC doors. I've forgotten the exact measurements, but it was about 110 x 70 x 55 cm.

Thanks. I used to make my retic cages which were 8' x 2' x 2' out of 3/4 " melamine and it was unbearable to even try to slide across the floor I figured framing would be a better option even for a cage this size
    Tyler
    www.checkeredgarter.com

Actually, I've made 2. The other was 90 x 80 x 50, I think. From 21x21mm rods and 12mm plywood.

They were both light enough to carry with one hand. IIRC, the lighter of them weighed just over 10kg including the doors.

Where were you able to get the tracks? I have been looking around and have not had any luck...
    Tyler
    www.checkeredgarter.com

Quote Originally Posted by twgrosmick View Post
    Where were you able to get the tracks? I have been looking around and have not had any luck...
    I got them from the glass shop. Recently, I've seen a few online pet stores sell plastic tracks as well.

edit: Looks like quite a few online hardware stores sell them, too.

What did you search to find them? Any links would be great
    Tyler
    www.checkeredgarter.com