Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Lighting / Heating questions

Hey everyone!

First I'd like to start out by saying that I am new to this forum and am excited to be here for help and to learn a lot more about my new pet. I got a garter snake two days ago and have been quickly learning a lot about how to take care of him. At the pet store, I got a 'prefab' kit with a 10G tank, heating pad, 50watt day blue light (with ceramic reflector dome), terranium liner, and some peat moss substrate. The instructions informed me to always leave the heat pad on, and I understand how to manage the temperature gradient. However, yesterday I had the heat pad on (it is under the tank btw) and the day blue light. He seemed to be happy. However, at night once I got him more stuff for the tank (some artificial leaves, a 'den' and a good sized water pool for fish/and him to bask in. He quickly wrapped up and stayed in the water for about 2 hours. So I assume he was overheated. Therefore, today I was reluctant to use the lamp for too long.. I turned on the lamp (heating pad had still be constantly on) and threw in my digital thermometer with the reader touching the substrate. It read 90 degrees. I know this is not good so I decided to turn off the heating pad. Without the pad, it is now 81.6 degrees with just the lamp. Essentially my question is.. is turning the lamp on during the day and unplugging heating pad, then putting heating pad on at night and lamp off a good solution and method to keep my snake's temperature regulated at a healthy level? Ill post a pic of my tank too! Thanks to whoever replies, I'm really gald to be somewhere where I can get help.

(Idk if you can see his little head poking out on the right by the water bowl :] )

- Jeff

Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Lighting / Heating questions

Also I will gladly accept any advice anyone has for a beginner!

Have you read the forum care sheet yet?

I would turn off the heater myself. There is no place to retreat from the heat in a tank this small with multiple heat sources in use.

A small modest basking lamp just like you have is all that you need.

The snake cannot thermo regulate when the tank is heated from above and below at the same time.

Are you measuring your temperatures with a thermometer?

Welcome to the forum! 90 deg. is probably to high for him. I would use the heat lamp during the day and depending on how cold it gets at night I would choose wether or not to use the heating pad. During the day the tank should be about 80-85 deg. At night it can go down to 72 or 77 deg. you should always have a warm side and a cool side... anywhere from a 3-5 degree difference. I can't see pics on this computer so I am just telling from what you wrote.

The care sheet is always a good read. Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet BTW. What kind of garter do you have?

Good luck!
    -Tyrel

there is nothing wrong with cooling your Thamnophis at night.

Unless you live in an igloo.

Normal room temperatures at night are still going to be warmer than a night spent under a rock near the river.

As stated it's hard for the snake to regulate in a small tank. Craigslist is a great place to find inexpensive larger tanks.
    A larger/longer tank will work better on your heat problem. The care sheet is a good place to answer many of your question and will assist you in making your friend more comfortable.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Also... Get a thermostat to control the heat. The lamp may be ok without a stat (depending on the wattage) because a lamp has quite predictable heating properties,but a mat should always be controlled by a thermostat.

Welcome to the forum. You'll get some good advice here, unfortunately most shops give shocking advice about garters.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"Preparing For Fourth shed" snake man's Avatar

Welcome and everything has really been said already.
    0.1 Red axanthic x red radix

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks a lot everyone. I will definitely check out the care sheet on the website. I do have a thermometer in the tank but I doubt it is as useful as my digital one that I've used to check temps periodically. I will just use the lamp to heat during the day and the pad only on nights that are very cold?

Having a thermostat that tells you the temp. is okay but a thermostat that controls and monitors the temp. is best.
    May I suggest.

Amazon.com: Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats: Patio, Lawn & Garden
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee