Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Worth the money?

Any experience with this company? Glasscages.com - Glass / Acrylic Sliding Fronts I'm looking to order the 48 x 24 x 25, 120 gallon acrylic tank w/sliding glass doors, priced at $321.00. I have a $400 cage fund and looking for the biggest I can get.
    Mona (T.S. sirtalis) Melanistic
    Fiona (T.S similis) Normal

Re: Worth the money?

I've heard people on the forum mention that acrylic scratches very easily.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

While acrylic does scratch it can be buffed out unlike glass when once it scratches it stays scratched. Just be sure never to use a razor on the acrylic and you will be fine. I have a 150 gallon acrylic saltwater tank and I just use an old credit card to clean the sides and have never had an issue.

Hope this helps. As for the price I would just custom build one yourself. I built a 4x2x2 for less than 150 with sliding glass front, removable top, out of melamine. Seeing as garters don't require high humidity you don't even have to treat the wood with a polyurethane based primer. I used 3/4 inch melamine with all my cages/racks and never had a problem.

I would LOVE to build one myself, but I need plans, a list of materials and so forth. I've actually got one in my head, just can't get it on to paper. I also put a post on my local craigslist to see if someone would build one for me. Since it will be the center piece in my living room it needs to be perfect for the girls, but has to be pleasing to the human eye also.

I would be willing to design one for you for a small fee. I am an engineer and I could model it on my 3D software. It would include all the layouts of the wood, etc. the only thing it wouldn't be able to do for you is build itself lol. If I was close I would be more than willing to build it for you but NC is a bit of a drive haha

I think you are over thinking it. It just needs to be a wooden box with ventilation and heat which can be achieved multiple ways. The design is totally up to you and whatever you think would be most aesthetically pleasing. It can look at good as you want it too granted you don't cut any corners to try to finish faster.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I've been drawing up plans for a viv for my big girls over the last few days. For me there are two reasons driving me to build my own, firstly is the cost (although the cost saving over buying one when it's in a sale isn't huge), but the main driver is that I can design in features that I want and you don't get on commercial vivs.
    When I build up my 1200mm x 533mm x 600mm box I'll post some pics and the plans.

I'm intending to use acrylic for the doors on the basis that it's cheaper, lighter and easier to work with than toughened glass.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Well I took the leap and got the Reptile Cage Plans - Articles, Care Sheets and Cage Information . I love this ebook and it gives me confidence to know I can build the 4x2x2 cage for the girls. It also gave me the excuse to buy a router, which I've always wanted. This is gonna be a slow process, but then I'm in no hurry since Mona & Sadie won't be with Zena until next year. Wish me luck!!

"Preparing For Fourth shed" snake man's Avatar

Good luck.
    0.1 Red axanthic x red radix