Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

What substrate to use?

Hello here,

Yesterday, I changed my terrarium substrate for coco substrate. But I don't know if it's really good for 2011 babies. They ate today some earthworms and a lot of coco substrate together. It is safe for them? It's the first time I try coco. I know they use to eat some dirt in nature, but Belladone, one of my girls, regurgitated (it is the good word in english?) her first worm because the substrate was too annoying for her.
    I don't want they get hurt.

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

Re: What substrate to use?

Coconut fiber is passable in small amounts. It is a terrible substrate to feed on as it sticks to moist prey. Feed either out of the enclosure or in a dish to manage substrate ingestion.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

I wouldn't let any kind of substrate get onto the food. With my babies, I put a paper towel down over the substrate and then put the dish of food on top of the paper towel. Then I watch very carefully while they eat to make sure they do not drag the food off the paper towel and into the substrate. If that doesn't work...put them in a separate feeding container with paper towels on the bottom instead of substrate.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Hi, I'm New Here!

I think I'll try in a separate feeding container because they walk their food throughout the terrarium :P
    What substrate do you use?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

It may also help to cut up the worms into smaller bites that way they don't ... wander off with food hanging n dragging in the substrate. Try cutting the worms into fours that way they still move but your babies won't take so long to swallow them.

Oh and regurgitated is the perfect word to use, Your english is very good
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks about my english. It's good for me if you correct me.

I found the Garter Snake care sheet, but they say nothing about the coco substrate. I'll try guppies next week-end and cutting the worms this tonight. How long should they bring to smallow a worm ? For my favorite girl (the big one named Cyanure) it takes less than two minutes. Other ones take five or six minutes (don't know for Uranium in fact).

good old fashion soil A.K.A. dirt is an excellent substrate.

I use aspen chips and feed in a separate container and have had no issues. Looks great and very easy to change.

Subadult snake i_heart_sneakie_snakes's Avatar

I use pieces of outdoor carpeting (the green stuff) or towels. I personally don't care for the aspen, dirt, coco, etc. I had a chunk of coco husk get lodged in Failtes mouth even though I never fed her on it, ever. All that stuff that is in little pieces just freaks me out now. Besides, my tanks are so huge, I can't just dump them out.
    0.2.4 T.s. Fitchi - Flickabee and Salem
    0.1 T.s. Sirtalis - Failte

1.1 T.e.Vagrans - Lumiere and Pumpkin
    T.s. Pickeringii- Little Boy Blue

Quote Originally Posted by i_heart_sneakie_snakes View Post
    I use pieces of outdoor carpeting (the green stuff) or towels. I personally don't care for the aspen, dirt, coco, etc. I had a chunk of coco husk get lodged in Failtes mouth even though I never fed her on it, ever. All that stuff that is in little pieces just freaks me out now. Besides, my tanks are so huge, I can't just dump them out.
    I use a shop vac an clean out everything in less than five minutes. There are disadvantages to the reptile carpet as well. I have noticed that the fibers will occasionally get stuck in their scales. I don't think that there is one perfect substrate.